Vibration, Noise and Pulling!!! Some Intermittent ~ HELP?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vibration, Noise and Pulling!!! Some Intermittent ~ HELP?!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 08-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
SouthSeaPirate
1994 ZJ 

Vibration, Noise and Pulling!!! Some Intermittent ~ HELP?!

Original thread. May or may not be related...

After changing the tires Im almost pull and vibration free. Its a very slight constant pull to the driver side and an intermittent vibration.

Conditions for vibration; Starts at about 25MPH under normal acceleration, then stops when it shifts to the next gear. Then again at 45MPH until shift (and Im sure some in between). If I hold a steady speed and pull off the throttle just a hair I will also have a vibration. Its a small but decent effect, enough to rattle plastics inside...

Noise; a faint whiiir whiir whiir, stopping in between.

------------------------------------------

Conditions before tire change; driver side tire had about a 7inch long bubble/knot. Before I noticed it, I checked any play in the system (by grabbing and moving the wheels by hand) and found none. Only when both wheels are suspended do I have play (but that moves the whole system all the way to the steering wheel). Ive also noticed the rubber/bushings are quite worn - 201,000 miles. The passenger caliper has a slightly higher drag then the driver (but before you scream caliper, remember, it pulls to the driver not passenger).

I need to know what to check from here. I am by no means a mechanic but I dont need step by step instructions most of the time. So shoot off any ideas you might have. TIA

SouthSeaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If it pulls with new tires the alignment was done wrong OR you have a problem in the front end. Ball joints, TRE, track bar, something along those lines. Vibration could be a driveshaft u-joint.
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
SouthSeaPirate
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep95xj View Post
If it pulls with new tires the alignment was done wrong OR you have a problem in the front end. Ball joints, TRE, track bar, something along those lines. Vibration could be a driveshaft u-joint.
Ah ha Driveshaft! Ill replace the forward one (already replaced the rear one and it was toast) because Im sure Ive heard some squeeking.
Unread 08-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

There ya go that may be all it is. Still have them check the alignment and front end. Pulling is not normal. Could also be play in your steering box. If you dont have a sloppy box you dont own a jeep lol.
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
SouthSeaPirate
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSeaPirate View Post
Ah ha Driveshaft! Ill replace the forward u-joint (already replaced the rear u-joint and it was toast) because Im sure Ive heard some squeeking.
Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep95xj View Post
There ya go that may be all it is. Still have them check the alignment and front end. Pulling is not normal. Could also be play in your steering box. If you dont have a sloppy box you dont own a jeep lol.
Let hope The pulling really isn't enough to cause alarm. I just thought it might be related to the vibration issue, which is my main problem.
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet hopefully your problems are gone.
Unread 08-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
SouthSeaPirate
1994 ZJ 

OOPS I meant the post was fixed. Post number 3 made it as if I was going to replace the front driveshaft (I have 2 wheel). I was just correcting it to say u-joint. Anyway Ill be fixing it on Tuesday since its my only day off Roomy is picking up the new u-joint now
Unread 08-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

ahh lol well keep us posted
Unread 08-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
SouthSeaPirate
1994 ZJ 

^ The man! LOL yeah no more vibration.

But now coming to work I had one hell of a shimmy when I hit my brakes comeing down from 50MPH. And I mean it was a dangerous wobble!

Any ideas???
Unread 08-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Most likely you need new rotors and pads up front. Warped rotors. Leme know how it goes.
Unread 08-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
SouthSeaPirate
1994 ZJ 

I should have mentioned it happened other times as well. Not just when braking; twice with brakeing and twice without. Rotor looks okay and wheels spin freely without drag. Pulls to the left, and only slightly more when braking. Left caliper and pads have already been replaced (caliper did drag a bit before replacement, smell pads - other side is only little drag). And if it were rotors, wouldnt it happen all the time. This has happened over, Id say, about 3000 miles.
Unread 08-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

#1 you should always replace both sides or dont do it at all. #2 Your rotors are warped and you need an alignment. Buy new rotor, pads, replace the other caliper if it's holding up. After that you should be good.
Unread 08-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #13
SouthSeaPirate
1994 ZJ 

Rotors and pads, got it

The drag, I mean, isnt even noticeable. I shouldnt even have mentioned it...

How do I get an alignment?

Everyone Ive ever spoke with whos gotten an alignment from a shop ended up worse... So I dont want to go to a tire shop.
Unread 08-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #14
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSeaPirate View Post
Everyone Ive ever spoke with whos gotten an alignment from a shop ended up worse... So I dont want to go to a tire shop.
How many people have talked to and do they know what they are talking about?

Get the tires balanced and have a road force alignment
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If everyone says they have ended up worse dont you think there is a problem there? Are they all going to the same place? If you have a local offroad shop take your jeep to them. If not do your homework and go to someone local with a good reputation.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.