Vibration at low speed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vibration at low speed

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Magikal_ZJ
2008 WK 

Vibration at low speed

Hey guys,

Well for a little while I have had some vibration at slow speeds 5-25 mph with my 98 GC. It is stock, but I do have mud tires on. Also one of my sway bar links broke a little while ago, and I'm just now getting around to changing it out.

Could either my mud tires or my broken sway bar link be the cause of the slow speed vibration? Once I hit 25 or above it seems to go away. Other than that I have had no diving problems, just this annoying vibration that can sometimes vibrate loose things in the cabin.

Any ideas on what might cause this? Could it be a front end problem, or a drive train problem?

Thanks

Magikal_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
clemsonyj
1998 ZJ 

Do you feel the vibrating in the cabin, like through the pedals or steering wheel? Or is this something you are just hearing? Does it change with throttle load? Try to be a little more specific.
Max

94 ZJ 5spd: RE 3.5" Superflex Kit, HPD30, Lockright, 32 Maxxis Bighorns, Rhino-lined Floors, Homebrew Sliders, Hacked fenders: SOLD

98 ZJ: 5.2L, RC Budget Boost, 16" Moabs, Goodyear MTR's, NP242, Magnaflow 3"
clemsonyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
Magikal_ZJ
2008 WK 

I feel the vibration in the cabin, through the steering wheel, but also in the seats, and just about anywhere. It doesn't really change noticeably with an increased throttle load, if anything it lessens if I increase it.

When I'm breaking or slowing down to the under 25 MPH range I also notice it in the cabin quite a bit. But again, when I'm over about 25 MPH I feel/hear nothing out of the ordinary.
Unread 08-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
AuburnZj
1995 ZJ 

Mine did something like that with with my old mud tires they had super agressive tread and when slowing down to a stop light it would vibrate a little, and they would also hum realy loud over 45 mph, so i bought some used bfg a/t's for street driving and it stopped. The boken sway bar link i dont know if that has anything to do with it, i drove around with out my sway bars connected for the longest time and nothing like that happened.
Unread 08-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Magikal_ZJ
2008 WK 

I have had my muds for about a year now, and get them rotated regulary. Their wear is not really uneven, so I don't think that these are the problem.

I was under my jeep yesterday trying to replace my sway bar link(damn rusted bolts), took at look at everything and I really didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I also took more of a note that the shake/vibration gets pretty violent when I slow and break from 25 MPH down to 0.

If i apply normal breaking when im traveling above ~25 MPH nothing feels out of the ordinary till I hit 25 mph and lower. Very weird. Any other suggestions?
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
93GCLimitedV6
1993 ZJ 

check your exhaust running across your trans support, could be your exhaust hitting it causing the vibration threw everything.
93GCLimitedV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
TheAngus
1998 ZJ 

im having the same exact problem and havent been able to figure it out

i know my exhaust is making contact with my claytons crossmember so ill check that out
1998 ZJ Limited 5.9L l Vortech Supercharged l SCT, 42lb Bosch, 255lph l Kolak 3" Exhaust w/ E-Cutout l KOR TB Conversion l Addco Swaybars F/R l JKS Rear TB l ORO U-Turn Steering w/ OME stabilizer l RE 4.5" Springs and Monotube Shocks l IRO Rear CAs l Kolak Ignition l Clayton Fronts l

http://www.siliconeintakes.com
TheAngus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
NickMaloon
1993 ZJ 

Check what your Jeep is idling at, mine would idle around 500-600 and cause some major vibrations, not sure if your having the same problem, but that's what mine was, if you change the idle to about 1k it might stop
NickMaloon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
baile_athas
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Did any of your guys check the u joints on the axles?
baile_athas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
Mity White 96
1996 ZJ 

A failed motor mount possibly?

You should definitely check your motor mounts. Having just changed mine out in my 176K miles 1996 ZJ, I can assure you that you can get that kind of vibration from a failed mount. And you cannot necessary see that the mount/s have failed until they are removed but you can certainly tell from watching the motor move around with the vehicle in DRIVE and then giving the engine gas while standing on the brakes HARD!
Mity White 96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
baile_athas
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Also man you should maybe get your alignement checked and rotate the tires. your front tires can get warped from not being alined and that will cause vibes. get them aligned and rotate the front tires will over time straighten out from not turning.
baile_athas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

it doesn't matter how evenly a tire is worn. Once it starts wearing down, many many things can start breaking down and cause vibration. I've seen tires that have 50% tread on them in a fairly even wear pattern that were causing horrible vibration. An easy way to see if that is any problem is have them road force tested at a tire shop. It will difinitively prove or negate them as the cause.

Moving on.. I assume you do not have the vibration at all during idle? This might negate motor mounts in general.. They can still be bad, even if they look like they have life left in them, as Mity has stated
Do you have a knocking, humming, grinding, any kind of sound associated with the vibration?
What is the condition of the rotors and brake pads? It's possible that one or more of them being slightly warped is causing vibration but it would typically be noticed all the time..
is there any change with the vibration(i.e. intensity, frequency, 'pitch', etc) that relates to rpm, actual speed, turning, anything?

you say it lessens with RPM so I'd say that makes it most likely related to motor mounts. I'd see about replacing those. Chances are, that will fix your problem
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
vibration , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.