Vibration at highway speed?????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vibration at highway speed??????

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-14-2003, 02:57 PM   #1
jlr69s
1985 CJ7 

Vibration at highway speed??????

Got my 96 ZJ about 5 months ago, so Im new to Jeeps. Right at about 90 mph I get a nice little vibration that pulsates, feels like its coming from the driveline. You know when you drive over those warning strips in the road before you come to a light or stop sign? Well thats what the vibration feels like. I hope its not because thats how fast my Jeep goes!! Any help would be great. Thanks!! Joey

Dana 30 & AMC 20 differentials, one piece axles
32x11.50 Bridgestone Dueller A/T
jlr69s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2003, 04:52 PM   #2
Stocker

If it's too high in frequency to be a tire unbalance, I would suspect u-joints or possibly even cv joints starting to fail.
Unread 03-15-2003, 07:57 AM   #3
jlr69s
1985 CJ7 

What do you mean by too high in frequency to be an unbalanced tire? As in sound? Or feel?
Unread 03-15-2003, 12:03 PM   #4
Stocker

Well, typically an unbalanced tire will seem to cause a shaking feeling, but a u-joint will be a much faster or more high-speed vibration, probably more like a humming or thrumming feeling (and sound) in the vehicle.

BTW the difference is (IMO) because the wheel/tire is a large rotating mass, so it tends more to create a wobble you can feel. But a u-joint (or cv joint) is much smaller & lighter, and spins at a faster rate than tire rotation. For instance, if you have 3.42:1 axle ratio, the driveline will rotate 3.42 times for each tire rotation. So the smaller, lighter, more rapidly rotating mass will cause more of a hum, less of a wobble.

Kind of hard to describe but I hope this helps.
Unread 03-15-2003, 12:22 PM   #5
jlr69s
1985 CJ7 

okay thanks! Im going to be getting new wheels put on so the tires will get balanced again at the shop in a few weeks. Ill be able to eliminate that possibility then. But it does feel like more of a u-joint. Not really any more vibration on one side of the car but I can feel it like right in the seat. And the vibration is sort of a humming feeling that pulsates at like half second intervals. Dont feel any vibration around town, only when I get past 85mph. But thanks for the help. -Joey

Last edited by jlr69s; 03-15-2003 at 12:24 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.