Vibration at highway speed?????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vibration at highway speed??????

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-14-2003, 02:57 PM   #1
jlr69s
1985 CJ7 

Vibration at highway speed??????

Got my 96 ZJ about 5 months ago, so Im new to Jeeps. Right at about 90 mph I get a nice little vibration that pulsates, feels like its coming from the driveline. You know when you drive over those warning strips in the road before you come to a light or stop sign? Well thats what the vibration feels like. I hope its not because thats how fast my Jeep goes!! Any help would be great. Thanks!! Joey

Dana 30 & AMC 20 differentials, one piece axles
32x11.50 Bridgestone Dueller A/T
jlr69s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2003, 04:52 PM   #2
Stocker

If it's too high in frequency to be a tire unbalance, I would suspect u-joints or possibly even cv joints starting to fail.
Unread 03-15-2003, 07:57 AM   #3
jlr69s
1985 CJ7 

What do you mean by too high in frequency to be an unbalanced tire? As in sound? Or feel?
Unread 03-15-2003, 12:03 PM   #4
Stocker

Well, typically an unbalanced tire will seem to cause a shaking feeling, but a u-joint will be a much faster or more high-speed vibration, probably more like a humming or thrumming feeling (and sound) in the vehicle.

BTW the difference is (IMO) because the wheel/tire is a large rotating mass, so it tends more to create a wobble you can feel. But a u-joint (or cv joint) is much smaller & lighter, and spins at a faster rate than tire rotation. For instance, if you have 3.42:1 axle ratio, the driveline will rotate 3.42 times for each tire rotation. So the smaller, lighter, more rapidly rotating mass will cause more of a hum, less of a wobble.

Kind of hard to describe but I hope this helps.
Unread 03-15-2003, 12:22 PM   #5
jlr69s
1985 CJ7 

okay thanks! Im going to be getting new wheels put on so the tires will get balanced again at the shop in a few weeks. Ill be able to eliminate that possibility then. But it does feel like more of a u-joint. Not really any more vibration on one side of the car but I can feel it like right in the seat. And the vibration is sort of a humming feeling that pulsates at like half second intervals. Dont feel any vibration around town, only when I get past 85mph. But thanks for the help. -Joey

Last edited by jlr69s; 03-15-2003 at 12:24 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.