Vibration at higher speeds.. 50mph+ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vibration at higher speeds.. 50mph+

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing the Quart Crate...

Unread 01-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Kanola

Vibration at higher speeds.. 50mph+

Got a 96 grand Cherokee 5.2 v8 full time 4wd I just swapped out the front axle from a CV style yoke to a U joint yoke style axle. I drove it around for awhile without the front driveshaft (for different reasons) and it had no vibration problems so I dont think it's my tires being unbalanced.. So I picked a U joint style driveshaft off a junkyard zj and put that on the new front axle and now when I get it on the freeway the jeep begins to vibrate randomly and it comes and goes often.. It seems it vibrates more whenever I let off the gas and begin to coast at high speeds..

Please let me know any ideas might help thank you!!

Kanola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Did you have the new shaft balanced and check the U joints?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Kanola

I'm not sure how to check or test the U joints.. And scince I pulled the driveshaft off another jeep I figured it would be ok, but maybe that's not true?
Kanola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It could be worn out, unbalanced, or bent.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
tevisesplin

check the torque of the t case front output shaft yoke. Specs are 90 - 130. Mine would vibrate starting at 65. tightened the yoke nut and it seems to have stoped
tevisesplin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.