Vibration in Front End Possibly Front drive shaft??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vibration in Front End Possibly Front drive shaft???

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
CrazyDrivinJoe
1994 ZJ 

Vibration in Front End Possibly Front drive shaft???

I am having a problem with vibration when accelerating between 20 to 45 or was having I should say. I thought it was my rear drive shaft u joints replaced them and it was not solved. This was the same vibration I had before when my front drive shaft was replaced 3 years ago. I took it out and the vibration has gone away but i live in new england and it snowed a lil here today so I think i need to hurry up and fix the problem. I showed a mechanic the drive shaft and he said I really dont think its your u joints I could change them for u but I dont think that is your problem. Has anyone else had a problem with vibration and it end up being your front drive shaft. My Jeep is a 1994 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0. I recently had my old 4.0 die on me and got a free engine and replaced the top end and bored out my manifold to make it flow better and just got out my tail pipe last weekend and now it sounds mean with a flowmaster 40 series on it. I have after market intake and wires had platinum plus 4 plugs on the old engine. I have had to fix so many little small problems between broken brake line new front brakes and noticed a sway bar bolt disconnected in the rear.

Is there anyone who has had problems with vibration with a front drive shaft that was solved with u joints? I am wondering if I do have bad u joints which I still have a feeling I do or if its something else. I dont want to have to replace an almost new front drive shaft if I dont have to. I will gladly take some advice to any other jeep lovers like my self out there I do not want to get rid of this thing I mean cmon. Who spends all there money on a car just to keep drivin it Jeep people or Mopar lol because you just straight out love your car. I could never live with out a 4 wheel drive car I hate the gas but love the ride especially when its winter and I am doing 4 wheel burn outs in the snow.

CrazyDrivinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

CV or u-jointed front shaft? If it's u-jointed, replace the joint in the single cardan side (axle side) of the shaft, and your problem may go away. If it's the CV type, you can probably rebuild the rear double cardan side.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
CrazyDrivinJoe
1994 ZJ 

It has 3 u joints in the front drive shaft and i was told that they were seemed to be fine but I think I am going to have them replaced and see if someone can balance the drive shaft too. I think thats the problem I dont see it being anything else. unless i have some play in the front diff or off the differential I am going to work on it soon and just check everything to see if it is all tight then just pray.
Unread 11-21-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

it's possible that you lost a balancing weight. Probably couldn't hurt to get it rebalanced.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
CrazyDrivinJoe
1994 ZJ 

I am gonna call around I dont kno of anyone who balances front drive shafts I also think it might be that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.