vibration at 65-70? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > vibration at 65-70?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #16
97zjdriver
1997 ZJ 

Ya that is exactly what mine dose and would like to fix it. Fingers crossed that some one fixed there's and post what they did to fix it. And thanks for all the replys

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum

97zjdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #17
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

If you really want help, there needs to be information

Is the noise from the front, back, right, left, or center? You can tell this from driving the vehicle and experiencing different road conditions. There are many many many things in a vehicle that can make noise. Point us in a direction here.

Next, is that the source of the noise or an access point for the noise? Roll the windows down, have a passenger move around in the vehicle to confirm. For example a bad pinion bearing may be confused with an outer wheel bearing if there's a rust hole behind a tire that lets the noise in right next to the wheel bearing. Ill fitting doors and hatches will also play tricks with finding source. The acoustics of an SUV make it hard to casually pinpoint the source of rear noises

Is the noise related to coast or throttle?

Is the noise related to turning?

Is the noise related to the road surface you're driving on?

Is the noise related to outside temperature or axle/brake temperatures?

Any smaller noises at lower speeds that may be evolving into the larger noise?

These are the kinds of things that allow you to get advice about your problem. Otherwise it's just a series of people talking about the noise their jeep makes. Which may or may not be related with vague descriptions on everyone's part.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
97zjdriver
1997 ZJ 

Ok well the jeep has about 190k on it. I'm not sure where exactly its coming from. I will try to check that to night. I just did u joints in the rear drive shaft. Well I was back there I noticed the vent was cloged and it was leaking diff. Fluid out of the bottom of the pummpkin. I got the vent uncloged and finished u joints. The truck is old but if there is a part or gear that is know to make that sound and go bad I can replace it to see if it fixes it. Now the speed it only there when at 65 to 70. Dosent matter the road or condition like rain or sun. And turning and acceleration don't make a difference exept after about 75 then gets qeuiter. I will try to track down the place its coming from tonight. Thanks for the reponds.

Unread 04-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #19
tennman1990
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know mine makes a horrible rattling noise when I do those speeds and its the cat vibrating horribly but in the cab with winows up it sounds like something grinding in the rear.
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #20
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Well for me.

The sound starts at 60mph. Its a deep rumbling noise that's in the rear somewhere, the noise is so deep and rumbling your eardrums starting to vibrate almost. Then at 65-70mph the noise is even louder and going ovr any bump/hump on the road that makes your Jeep go up and down a little bit will make a noise that sounds like this. But that noise is only when the Jeep flexes up and down at 70mph from the road conditions. It happens for 1 second then stops, but the rumbling/deep noise (or noise that say huge tires make) is still there.

Letting off the gas or on the gas doesnt make it any different. Turning i have no noises, except for the moaning my steering makes when i turn sharp from the bad Viscous coupler. I do know there is a squeek squeek squeek somewhere on my Jeep that i can only hear when i drive by other vehicles, or a bunch of tree's or a wal lor something that echoes the sound back to me. You dont hear that otherwise.

Under 60mph exactly you dont hear a peep from the rear when it comes to rumbling. You do however hear a noise altho not as bad as the video.. and it sounds like this if you were listening for it. That noise is exactly how mine sounds like under 60mph. Then once i get above 60mph the noise turns into my description above.. Rumbling vibrating noise, and then it turns into the occasional gear rubbing noise at 70mph in the first video... Then above 75mph everything is silent and smooth

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #21
97zjdriver
1997 ZJ 

The second video is kinda like mine its just alittle queiter then that. I haven't been in the rear diff. So I don't know if the gears are worn or not. May be a summer project when the wrangler comes out

Unread 04-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #22
97zjdriver
1997 ZJ 

Ok
Unread 04-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #23
97zjdriver
1997 ZJ 

Ok so I'm on my way to north carolina from new york and the noise is exactly like the 2nd video. My dad thinks it could be a pinon gear? Are there any more possibilites? Am I over looking some thin?

Unread 04-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #24
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Na that sound in the 2nd vid is usually the pinnion bearings, from what i gatherd from my vast searchs of my own problem.

So im pretty sure i need to replace my pinion bearings as well in my rear diff, however im not sure if those bearing also cause that rumbling sound above 60mph.. Because the 2nd vid i only hear that noise between 45-60mpg, then above 60mph it changes to a rumbling in the back, and then the rumbling adds in that gear noise in the first vid.. Im not sure if these are related to the pinion.

If you have the same sound then im going to assume its the same thing with you, that your pinions bearings are going bad
Unread 04-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #25
StidgeInTN
1998 ZJ 

And another one joins the club. I have the same vibe at same speed. Definately in rear. Mine started after tire rotation about a month ago. Haven't taken it back to have re-balanced yet, but it sounds like it coming from rear diff. Almost 300k on a stock '98. Noticed today that Tranny mount is shot. No fluid leak around pinion bearing. Anyone think trans mounts could be part of issue?

Edit: should have my trans mount in a few days. If it doesn't fix it, should at least help it from getting worse.
StidgeInTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #26
lakotaed
1994 ZJ 

SoCal shake n bake

I replaced my front shocks on my 94 ZJ and all of a sudden the death wobble came out of nowhere. I would hit a little bump at 65 and I swear it felt like I had square blocks for wheels. I usually just hit the brakes firmly or quickly shifted lanes and it went away until the next little bump.

I replaced the stearing damper (shock looking thing) and all the bushings on the front sway bar, yet it continued. I just left it for about 3 months and stayed under 65, then it started to happen at lower speeds and without bumps, but little washboard areas would do it too. We have some cement portions on our freeways and they tend to dip in the middle of the slabs.

I just got a new Blackberry with a 5.1 megapixel video camera, so I laid it down in front of my Jeep as I turned the wheels back and forth. I focused on every joint and link because I kept hearing this little clunk. To my amazement, I could visibly see the play in the tracking bar ball joint. Previously, I had gotten under there and yanked and pushed on every joint in the steering assembly and did not see any play then. Short story long, I replaced the track bar ($70 at Autozone) and the clunk and the death wobble are history. It is a pretty easy job if you can turn a wrench and don't mind a little grease, the same for the sway bar bushings which really add a tight firm feel to the wheel.

ps I first bought new tires, balanced them, no help!
lakotaed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:29 AM   #27
93zjbums
1993 ZJ 

well my vibration is in my front drive the telescoping part of the shaft has a rediculous amount of slop and i can move the shaft up and down a half inch just my
92 xj stock 358k miles wifes
93zjbums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #28
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Im going to try changing my tires. Im reading the reviews of the Firestone Destination LE tires that my 5.9 came with when i bought it (brand new tires) and they dont have really good reviews... 1 outa 5 in snow (i learned that this winter when i slid on 2 inchs of fresh snow going 15mph and cracked my bumper cover..

They aparently have poor tred life which im learning, after 3500 miles they look somewhat worn already, altho thats probably because of my bad VC. Another thing im reading is alot of people say they have vibrations and a lot of road noise above 50-60mph using these tires.

So im going to try and swap our 4.0's tires on my 5.9 and see if this changes the vibs and noise im hearing at 60mph +. Im hoping its as simple as this... maybe not but worth a try i guess right ?

Anyone know if this torque wrench is any good ? Its cheap and it uses a dial, but the rewviews are really good. I just cant afford some $200 torque wrench atm, and if im going to tire swap the Jeeps then i need be able to do it myself no way im paying a shop to change tires, and id rather torque them right so my wheels dont fly off.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00944690000P
Unread 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #29
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

bad pinion bearing will start with an airplane like whine that is speed relative. my thoughts are that if the pinion bearing are bad enough that they will change the tooth contact from the pinion gear to the ring gear, causing a rumble.
also, a bad transmission mount can cause your pinion/driveshaft angle to change quite a bit upon acceleration.
torque will cause the engine/transmission/transfercase to twist and "stand up".
my transmission mount was shot and i had my wife put it in gear with the brakes on and give a little throttle while i was looking underneath. my transfercase tail shaft moved vertically over an inch. which changed my driveshaft angle.
so as the transmission mount goes bad and allows the transfer case to "settle" the pinion angle that the rear end is used to changes and can then create the whine, that creates the rumble
bad motor mounts can cause the transmission mount to degrade quicker
so motor mounts degrade tranny mounts
tranny mount bad changes pinion angles
pinionbearings wear differently creating whine
bad pinion bearing cause change in pinion gear setting
different contact points from pinion gear to ring gear cause rumble

thats my theory!
Unread 04-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #30
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

thats actually a fairly plausible theory. If the pinion bearings wear out too much it can and usually does cause the pinion gear to move around and changer the gear mesh pattern. think of it like sticking a straw through a piece of cardboard, if the hole is the same size as the straw, it stays straight. make the hole bigger and it wobbles.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.