Vibrates (but not when frontshaft is removed) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vibrates (but not when frontshaft is removed)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
tevisesplin

Vibrates (but not when frontshaft is removed)

So I finally may have found the cause to my 65 mph + vibration. My 95 jeep had developed a bad vibration that would start around 65 mph and was at times bad enough to cause the cd to skip. I was certain that it would shake the dash apart at times. I pulled the front drive shaft to inspect it and found it to be binding a bit but couldnt see how it was the cause of the vibrations. it did however drive smooth with out the front shaft installed. but having read that it was bad for the t-case to run with out it I replaced the joints and reinstalled it. vibration still there. after lots of head scratching I pulled and split the t-case to see if there were any noticeable problems. None found. After putting it back together and back in the vibration seems to have been fixed. The only thing I could think of is that the Front output shaft of the t-case, going to the front driveshaft, (yoke nut) may have been loose and when I put it back together it solved the problem. I had to remove the yoke to split the case and it was rather easy to remove by hand, with a 24" breaker bar. thought it should have been harder. The torque spec for it is 90-130. If any one else has this problem I hope this helps. Also if you have solved this problem in another way please let me know. thanks.

tevisesplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
tevisesplin

May still vibrate
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

driveshaft.

you replaced a few ujoints (good) but did you replace the ball kit in the Double Cardan?
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
tevisesplin

I replaced the entire front shaft (came with joints) but it still vibrates, though maybe not as bad. When I shake the shaft it does seem to have a slight amount if up down play at the T/C end. Cant tell if its the joint, output shaft, or shaft yoke
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

pull it back off, give the yoke a wiggle with DS unconnected. should be no play. i've had that part go as well on a tcase. thats a real pain to replace.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.