Very weird problem after locking with keyless entry - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Very weird problem after locking with keyless entry

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 04-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
ABerry
2004 WJ 

Very weird problem after locking with keyless entry

For the past few months in my WJ after I get out and lock the doors with the keyless entry (haven't ever used the physical key slot, I may try that) the dome lights don't turn off after locking... All doors lock fine, there are no doors open, and I have checked the dimmer switch... I have gotten use to it since the jeep cuts power after 5 minutes (I believe) which shuts all the lights off by design... If I needed the lights off that second I would just turn the dimmer to make sure no lights come on... the lights staying on after locking happens I believe about 75% of the time, sometimes it works. It was an annoyance I could live with until I realized my alarm isn't engaging when I lock. The flashing light doesn't come on at all... I did a search and found tons of info none of which matched my problem... anyone have any ideas? I am in a very high theft area and need to get this fixed, any suggestions where (other than the dealer who is 30 miles away)

Unread 04-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
ABerry
2004 WJ 

I searched JU and found a little extra information on a problem not identical but around the same as mine... people mentioned the keyless fob could be out of sync, something wrong with the battery etc... going from that, I am curious as to what range you guys get with your keyless entry? Someone mentioned 50+ft ... sometimes I will be within 10 feet and nothing will happen but I believe the battery is pretty new
Unread 04-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

they battery in the key fob isn't realvent in this issue as it is sending the lock command to the doors. I would look at the fuse for your alarm make sure its good. and the length of time the lights stay on is a function set in the overhead VIC center.

edit, you may want to look at each door and make sure the mechanism that reports its closed and turns off the light is good, but you can still set the alarm with the door open, i know i have done it.
IRO 6.5 Long Arms
Aussie Locked Rear

in the works... lots deployments are great for jeep budgets

Go Doorless!

Things i need..
good spots in the mid atlantic to camp, hike, fish, kyak and wheel, if you know please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY
i would do the rear.
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
ABerry
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyLuxury View Post
they battery in the key fob isn't realvent in this issue as it is sending the lock command to the doors. I would look at the fuse for your alarm make sure its good. and the length of time the lights stay on is a function set in the overhead VIC center.

edit, you may want to look at each door and make sure the mechanism that reports its closed and turns off the light is good, but you can still set the alarm with the door open, i know i have done it.
thanks for the help... while driving the overhead vic reports no doors open... i'll be the only one in the car... get out, and shut the door (making sure it is shut) and the problem still happens... but sometimes it works

the thing with the alarm I was mentioning is when the dome lights don't dim after locking the car the alarm won't flash at all... when the lights go off after locking the alarm will come on no issue... it's like my keyless is telling all of the doors to physically lock and thats it, nothing else (dome lights turn off and alarm activates)
Unread 04-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I would suggest the same. I had an issue in my Altima where the auto headlights were not turning off after the 60 second delay. Turns out the door switch on the drivers door was bad, so the car didn't know I had gotten out of it and it wasn't dark enough for me to notice the dome light hadn't come on. I know it's a different issue but I think the door switches play a role.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Airbird
2004 WJ 

I had the same problem a few months ago with a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited

It ended up being a wire in my driver side door, the wire was split right at the hinge were the wire ran from the door to the the dash.

All I did was spliced the wire back up

Anyways it looked as if the wire had alot of tension and the hinging of opening and closing the door split it.

I'll take a picture when I get out of the office
Airbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
ABerry
2004 WJ 

hm I'll definitely check the wires out when I get back home... a picture would be great as well!
Unread 04-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Airbird
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABerry View Post
hm I'll definitely check the wires out when I get back home... a picture would be great as well!

I'm thinking your having the same problem as I did, check back later tonight and I'll have them pictures for you!

It seems to be a problem for the 2004, if you do a google search you'll find more info

heres a link to guy having the same problem
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/2004_Jeep_...ther_Any_ideas
Airbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
ABerry
2004 WJ 

Well I found the problem lol...

any suggestions?
Unread 04-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Lol wow thats same thing thats starting to happen to me

The thing that broke off yours is Kinda broke on mine the part that attaches in the hinge is what is broke on mine makes a LOUD popping noise when i open the door.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ha, mine is on it's way to looking like yours. Let us know how much fun that was to change.
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
Unread 04-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougy147 View Post
Ha, mine is on it's way to looking like yours. Let us know how much fun that was to change.
that braket is easy as pie to remove, i take it off when i go doorless. just a question of how much the dealer is going to charge for the replacement part
IRO 6.5 Long Arms
Aussie Locked Rear

in the works... lots deployments are great for jeep budgets

Go Doorless!

Things i need..
good spots in the mid atlantic to camp, hike, fish, kyak and wheel, if you know please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY
i would do the rear.
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
that braket is easy as pie to remove, i take it off when i go doorless. just a question of how much the dealer is going to charge for the replacement part
Well the thing thats attached to bracket is whats kinda broke on mine makes a loud POP when i open and shut it

Write up on how to fix this bad boy?
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
ABerry
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
Well the thing thats attached to bracket is whats kinda broke on mine makes a loud POP when i open and shut it

Write up on how to fix this bad boy?
I'll try to get the part and do a small write up... sounds like it is maybe a defect if all of us are having problems... and my rig is a 2004!! There are two things in this world that come from hell... one is waking up from sleep before your body wants to, the other is buying parts from a jeep stealership... I spent 10 minutes at a stealer trying to describe the middle parking light bulb in the headlight housing that I needed to replace.. and after, i went home installed it to find out it wasn't even the right bulb

wish me luck
Unread 04-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABerry View Post
I'll try to get the part and do a small write up... sounds like it is maybe a defect if all of us are having problems... and my rig is a 2004!! There are two things in this world that come from hell... one is waking up from sleep before your body wants to, the other is buying parts from a jeep stealership... I spent 10 minutes at a stealer trying to describe the middle parking light bulb in the headlight housing that I needed to replace.. and after, i went home installed it to find out it wasn't even the right bulb

wish me luck
What is wrong with these people? I called one about getting a new coolant bleed plug for the 4.7 ($3 part) and this guy tells me it's not available and I have to buy the $400 timing cover. Another stealer found it and didn't even charge me list for it. I ended up using something else anyway

Quote:
You just disconnect it from the body though, right? To replace the whole thing, it looks like the door check has to go inside the door which means removing door panel, etc. My check is definatley going bad so I have to replace the whole deal eventually.

If mine had broken like that and I didn't have access to a welder, I would probably go to a JY and and get that piece by drilling out the rivet. Then just bolt it up, use a new rivet to attach with a washer on the bottom and you're good to go.
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.