Very loose steering! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Very loose steering!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Zjbuilder95
1995 ZJ 

Very loose steering!

I've always experienced loose steering on my zj. A while ago I was driving and the steering box had froze and ripped off the engine compartment. I had it towed and the mechanic threw in a new one. Ever since I've had to steer a lot just to get it to drive straight! I originally took it to a 4 wheel parts to have a 4.5" long arm w/ 1" coil spacer lift installed. It's been that way since. I'm not very knowledgable in suspensions. I noticed I'm still using the stock pan hard bar/trac bar. Would I need to upgrade to eliminate this issue? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Drive scarefully!

Zjbuilder95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Check ball joints lately?

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
RTLee
1995 ZJ 

Ummm...did you ever align the vehicle properly? Check tie rods and drag link? Ball joints (as prior poster said)?

Or more importantly, did you ask the guy that installed it?

If you did the arms and spacers without aligning, I'd try that first.
RTLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Zjbuilder95
1995 ZJ 

I admit I am a beginner when it comes to mechanics, don't even think I should consider myself a beginner in respect of true beginner's. I did bring it up to the off road shop that installed it. A friend of mine, who's advise I don't ever consider anymore, suggested that my trac bar wasn't long enough. I went in with that question and they said everything looks fine but I need to go to an alignment shop. Went to the alignment shop and was referred to the off road shop. Gave up and turned to the internet and my hands.

I did look up how to inspect ball joints and after inspection, there is a LOT of play in the front two wheels. Not to mention the boots being severely worn. Have plans to replace and will follow up if anybody cares.
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Those ball joints already have wear on em so lifting your jeep and throwing bigger tires on puts more stress on an already tired part. Address those and go from there. Did your kit come with adjustable track bars? At 4.5" you should have them.

Some alignment shops dont carry the equipment to do lifted vehicles. Call around your area to find someone who does.

Build thread^^
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Zjbuilder95
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987
Those ball joints already have wear on em so lifting your jeep and throwing bigger tires on puts more stress on an already tired part. Address those and go from there. Did your kit come with adjustable track bars? At 4.5" you should have them.

Some alignment shops dont carry the equipment to do lifted vehicles. Call around your area to find someone who does.
They did install an adjustable trac bar. In a previous post I mentioned that the stock trac bar was still being used. I meant to say tie rod. I should probably get all my info straight before posting. :P
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjbuilder95 View Post
They did install an adjustable trac bar. In a previous post I mentioned that the stock trac bar was still being used. I meant to say tie rod. I should probably get all my info straight before posting. :P
Next time install your lift yourself and youll learn real quick how things work and how to address issues as they arise.

-If you have the means of doing so at least.

Build thread^^
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Only suckers or Pro's buy already lifted trucks.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.