vents/defrost door problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > vents/defrost door problem

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
pete315

vents/defrost door problem

When I turn on A/C, air comes out both vents and defrost. If I cruise on highway at a steady speed, sometimes air comes all out the vents but as soon as I step on the gas, it goes back to defrost. I know it's a vacuum problem. I know it has a check valve right by vacuum connection by rear of the 4.0 liter engine valve cover. I thought this check valve should prevent this problem. I then went under dash and see the vacuum valve that controls this door for vents/defrost. It appears that there is not enough vacuum to pull the plunger all the way in to get all vents. I removed the vacuum line and hooked up my hand held vacuum pump and plunger moves all the way in with no problem so I'm sure the vacuum plunger is working correctly. I checked as much of the vacuum lines as possible and I see no breaks. It's the green vacuum hose that controls this vacuum plunger. Why would I have low vacuum on this line? I swapped out another heater control head from another same year Jeep and it did the same thing.

pete315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
MaintMech

1996 ZJ 

There's a bunch of vacuum lines under the hood. Start with the "T" next to the firewall. There's a vacuum reservoir under the battery. Can be cracked.
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
pete315

I check the T on the vacuum line. all looks good. I did not check that tank under the battery. I'll try that.
pete315 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.