VC vs. Front diff prob. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > VC vs. Front diff prob.

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-25-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
bnhcooper

VC vs. Front diff prob.

I knew it would only be a matter of time. I think my VC is doing it's last dance. But here's the thing -- I thought it was either gone or it wasn't. Right now, I only start to have the lurching and bucking after I've been driving for about 30 minutes, it doesn't have to be a tight turn, and the banging seems to come more from the front. I know I have a front diff bearing issue, but when diffs have gone bad on me in the past, it was an all or nothing deal as well -- it either bucks or it doesn't. This only when warm thing has me confused. Any thoughts? It acts the same when turning either direction, and I actually thought the whole system was working well in the snow, though I am able to break the back end loose at will. Thanks guys.

Unread 01-26-2005, 06:23 AM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

When the VC starts to go, the undesireable behaviour normally only shows up when the unit has warmed up. As you say, when bearings go, the temperature doesn't really matter.
I imagine your VC is on it's way out...

HTH
Unread 01-26-2005, 07:37 AM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

The system will work like a champ in the snow, dirt, gravel and mud. However, on dry land, it'll kill you.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2005, 07:40 AM   #4
bnhcooper

I guess it's good that it will work when I need it, but now I need to build up the confidence to do this repair. I usually don't touch tranny's and diff's because of fear of not getting tolerances and adjustments right. How tough a job is this, and do you think I can trust a kit like this? Thanks for the help and info. Of course I'll do more research, but would appreciate any hints.
Unread 01-26-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
mkjeep

I was also having the 'jump-n-bump' problem with my VC. It took about two years for it to really make me nervous. I kept removing the front drive shaft during the summer months and re-installing it for the winter. I just did replace my NP249 with a direct bolt-on replacement 231. It really wasn't a tough job. Only took me about 6hrs (I did it by myself). The hardest part was getting one of the top TC nuts off. It runs great now and I love the 2WD option.
mkjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnhcooper
I guess it's good that it will work when I need it, but now I need to build up the confidence to do this repair. I usually don't touch tranny's and diff's because of fear of not getting tolerances and adjustments right. How tough a job is this, and do you think I can trust a kit like this? Thanks for the help and info. Of course I'll do more research, but would appreciate any hints.

I wouldn't trust it. For starters, there are differences between 95 and older 249's and 96 and newer 249's. And anybody that says you can overhaul your TC without pulling it off the Jeep is crazy, stupid, or lying.

You can do this job yourself, I have no doubt, but you are going to want to have a factory service manual in hand while you do it. Haynes won't cut it on this one...

HTH
Unread 01-26-2005, 07:36 PM   #7
midwest97gc

I helped a buddy do it and we used the factory service maual. You can pick one up for about $90-$110 at the dealer.

We did it in abour 5 hrs on the weekend. We took our time with friends coming in and out distracting us. It also helped we had a lift in his garage.

Dont buy this type of thing off ebay, this is a very very important and vital job to do, you get what you pay for. Buy it from a Jeep parts website, or part shop (if they carry it). If you plan on keeping you Jeep for a while, which it looks like you are, then buy the good stuff.

Cassius
[COLOR=White]2" BB, Edelbrock Shocks, 31X10.5 A/T MT's on Stock Rims, Bump Extensions, Custom Skid Plates, De-pinstripped, De-badged, 5% tint ALL the way around, Yellow top battery, Grounding Kit, 200 Amp Alternator, (6) 10in JL Audio WO's, (2) JL Audio Slash 1000/1 Amps, Alpine IVA-D300 Headunit, MB Quart mids and highs all the way around, and the volume always at 100[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]JOIN [URL=http://www.norml.org/index.cfm]NORML[/URL] TODAY - FIGHTING TO LEGALIZE MARIJUANA FOR RESPONSIBLE USERS[/COLOR]
midwest97gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2005, 08:07 AM   #8
bnhcooper

Is drivetrain.com reputable, or am I stuck with dealer pricing for a good pice, then.
Unread 01-27-2005, 06:12 PM   #9
midwest97gc

I have never heard of them, but just check out the webpage and see if they have a customer # you can call. Or check to see if they have feedback from customers on the product bought

Then you should be ok.

Good luck, sorry I could not help more, maybe someone else has heard of this place???

Cassius
[COLOR=White]2" BB, Edelbrock Shocks, 31X10.5 A/T MT's on Stock Rims, Bump Extensions, Custom Skid Plates, De-pinstripped, De-badged, 5% tint ALL the way around, Yellow top battery, Grounding Kit, 200 Amp Alternator, (6) 10in JL Audio WO's, (2) JL Audio Slash 1000/1 Amps, Alpine IVA-D300 Headunit, MB Quart mids and highs all the way around, and the volume always at 100[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]JOIN [URL=http://www.norml.org/index.cfm]NORML[/URL] TODAY - FIGHTING TO LEGALIZE MARIJUANA FOR RESPONSIBLE USERS[/COLOR]
midwest97gc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.