"Vanishing" Coolant - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > "Vanishing" Coolant

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #16
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

My guesses are ( based upon my own zj..and in no particular order, because I've had them all.):

1. Small radiator leak...blowing back and dispersing. ( very common on ZJs)
2. I had a tiny drip from a heater hose ( bottom side of hose, near the front of engine.) once.
3. Check the radiator cap. In fact , go ahead and replace it if it's the original. Also check the little hose going to the coolant bottle, from the radiator cap area back.
4. Seeping freeze plugs. The ones on the back side of the block are the worst ones to repair. I was lucky and only had to do the 5 of them on the side....( so far). ( might as well replace the exhaust header while it's off...if it's cracked at the collector)
5. Water pump going out....slowly. Twice done on mine.
6. Not happened to me yet ( knock on wood)....heater core seeping.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #17
Raimundo
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I see alot of new cars on a cold morning with white smoke out the exhaust. Does it go away? They make a test kit I believe to see if you have combustion gas in the coolant, but I have never bought one. Catalytics produce moisture as a by product which is why there are weep holes in some systems. Smoke under the hood is another matter. I would find the source of that first before going all apocalyptic.
There is a difference between white smoke and water vapor. The water vapor will be present in the exhaust in cold weather as cold air enters a hot engine.
Raimundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #18
Alexandru999
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams271368 View Post
There is some smoke coming from the radiator area; my rear window is foggy, and won't clear up.
like the other guy said, seems like you have a possible leak from the radiator itself, but doesn't leak, the heat just vapors it ... maybe take it to a shop and have them test the radiator ? i think they do it for like 50$, they even clean it , once u have smoke coming out of there that can be an issue, you said u see no leaks so vapors of your coolant could mean exactly why u see nothing, so is that the problem? smoke from radiator is obviously a problem

as for the rear window fog, you mean tailgate window? beacuse that wont be a problem, there is no air exit near it, usually its windshield, front door windows
Alexandru999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #19
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams271368 View Post
There is some smoke coming from the radiator area; my rear window is foggy, and won't clear up.
Heater core leak. Pull up your carpets in front and under rear seat and inspect for moisture.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #20
Alexandru999
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfan2 View Post
Heater core leak. Pull up your carpets in front and under rear seat and inspect for moisture.
thats what i told him too, but isnt it weird that only the rear window fogs? usually its the front, but yea, like he said, you should inspect anyways
Alexandru999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.