Valve Timing confusion 97 ZJ 4.0L i6 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-25-2011, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
wjester3
1997 ZJ 

Valve Timing confusion 97 ZJ 4.0L i6

I have a thread,linked here, related to this but truly wanted to get some new opinions on this interesting dilema......

I Really need to know if anyone has run into this at all.....

I have absolutley verified that the piston is at TDC of the compression stroke of the #1 cylinder. I opened the timing chain cover to find the timing marks on the crank in the right position. But.... the cam mark is 180 opposite. You can kind of make it out in this picture............. All I have done, so far, is get to the cover and remove it...

IS it just me, or does this cam look like it is off 180??!!!

If you view the previous thread you can see I was given a few diagrams concerning this issue...... I do not have access to a dial indicator and I have spun the crank a few times to watch the action in the valves, (i have the valve cover off).

Also, I am not to sure of the actual position of the crank to count the pins but I got it as close as I could to that spot, (according to diagram 2), and it doesnt quite look like it is 15 pins between the marks...... I will be back over there on Tuesday and I will try to re-verify this.

I am not sure if this cover has ever been opend before.... I purchased the jeep as a4x2 at 134K, converted it to a 4x4.

But I would really like to have as many opinions as possible as to my delima.

The last thing I need is to get this back together and have it 180 off!!!! This is my only vehicle and I need it back ASAP!!

Few more details......
160K on the odometer
just replaced....
Ignition Coil, ECM Pickups, Cap Rotor, CKS<---(When I replaced this it started knocking and spitting backfireing through the intake, and all nastiness). Led me to CHAIN.

Thanks for all the fish!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-25-2011, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
wjester3
1997 ZJ 

Forgot to mention......

I have a new CLOYES timing chain and gears...
and a new refurbished PCM

to go in as I get this back together.

post #3 of 11 Old 07-25-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
wjester3
1997 ZJ 

How in the world can there be no replies to this thread yet..... As confusing as this is, I would have thought that this would be an interting topic of discussion.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-28-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
wjester3
1997 ZJ 

This is truly unbelievable. I am so surprised there has been no discussion on this. Guess I will repost again....Perhaps a new title?
post #5 of 11 Old 10-11-2015, 04:07 PM
dioscw
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Did you find a solution for this? I'm having the same problem in a 1993 Cherokee XJ, if I align the timing gears marks, the rotors is at #6 if I turn the crankshaft 360 degrees the rotors point to #1 but the marks are 180 off.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-11-2015, 05:03 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...26/index2.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/i...winii-2856969/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...34/index6.html

If you look at post 26 mine where installed with marks aligned. Its been awhile but I think the rotor will point at 6. I also think its correct that gears will align as dioscw says when pointing at #1, but I am not sure of it. Mine ran fine until I had to pull the distributor back out to install a forgotten gasket. Hope this helps some,been there.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...-faqs-2863665/

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #7 of 11 Old 10-19-2015, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
wjester3
1997 ZJ 

I am so sorry it has taken so long to answer this post. I have had a devil of a time signing in. I sold this particular ZJ months ago. However during this particular part of the project it was quite a bother. I was taken aback that this had appeared. I had removed everything correctly and replaced everything in the same order only to get to the same point and go... WTF?? So without really being able to explain how in the world the distributor would be 180 off in the first place without even touching it. I decided to opt for the easier route in eliminating the issue.... I lined up the marks... made sure that the engine was indeed at TDC... flipped the distributor to point to the right spot, in this case 180, and voila! Everything was right as rain!

Hope this helps, if you haven't already fixed it by now!

Yes, I am sad that I am driving a POS and not a Jeep at the moment....
post #8 of 11 Old 10-19-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
wjester3
1997 ZJ 

Oh.... I only changed the Cam side of the marks.... I put the Crank at TDC for #1... Where the marks are in the pic above... Removed the chain... Flipped the cam... in other words... put the gear only on and continued to the lineup mark for the Cam.... and then put the chain back on.... then when the distributor went in I flipped it over as well...
post #9 of 11 Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 AM
dioscw
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Can the engine run fine with the distribution 180 off? The jeep used to runs just fine, just some lifter noise and the timing chain was bad (145.000 miles)

I marked the rotor position on the distributor before removing it, at this point I'm still cleaning the inside off the engine and it's going to take me some time until I could see if the Jeep would run like that, the engine has bad valve stem seals and clogged PCV, all parts where covered in some kind of crusty oil.

I'm kind off worried because I also removed the head and the camshaft to replace valve lifters and clean the engine, I'm not doing a rebuilt because everything else is fine (compression, bearing clearances).

I compared the OEM gears for camshaft and crankshaft with the replacement parts from Sealed Power and the timing marks are on the same spots.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-20-2015, 10:33 AM
dioscw
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Looking at he camshaft outside of the engine, the timing mark on the camshaft gear must be wrong (180 off), I removed the chain at TDC with the timing marks aligned, and the next valve to open on cylinder #1 would be admission, that means that the #1 cylinder was at TDC but in the exhaust stroke right?
post #11 of 11 Old 10-22-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
wjester3
1997 ZJ 

Well... As I had said, I just lined up the marks and noticed that the distributor WAS 180 off so I just flipped it to the right position. I closed everything up and it ran just great! Although to say, I never did find the reason for my light sputter, even after all my rebuilding and project work. I believe it may have been a small vacuum leak somewhere or possibly a frayed wire that was shorting in-line. But as far as timing went.. After finding that issue and After that flip. All was Good!!!

Tags
crank sensor , crank shaft , timing chain replacement , valve train

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.