Valve Timing confusion 97 ZJ 4.0L i6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Valve Timing confusion 97 ZJ 4.0L i6

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-25-2011, 04:14 AM   #1
wjester3
1997 ZJ 

Valve Timing confusion 97 ZJ 4.0L i6

I have a thread,linked here, related to this but truly wanted to get some new opinions on this interesting dilema......

I Really need to know if anyone has run into this at all.....

I have absolutley verified that the piston is at TDC of the compression stroke of the #1 cylinder. I opened the timing chain cover to find the timing marks on the crank in the right position. But.... the cam mark is 180 opposite. You can kind of make it out in this picture............. All I have done, so far, is get to the cover and remove it...

IS it just me, or does this cam look like it is off 180??!!!

If you view the previous thread you can see I was given a few diagrams concerning this issue...... I do not have access to a dial indicator and I have spun the crank a few times to watch the action in the valves, (i have the valve cover off).

Also, I am not to sure of the actual position of the crank to count the pins but I got it as close as I could to that spot, (according to diagram 2), and it doesnt quite look like it is 15 pins between the marks...... I will be back over there on Tuesday and I will try to re-verify this.

I am not sure if this cover has ever been opend before.... I purchased the jeep as a4x2 at 134K, converted it to a 4x4.

But I would really like to have as many opinions as possible as to my delima.

The last thing I need is to get this back together and have it 180 off!!!! This is my only vehicle and I need it back ASAP!!

Few more details......
160K on the odometer
just replaced....
Ignition Coil, ECM Pickups, Cap Rotor, CKS<---(When I replaced this it started knocking and spitting backfireing through the intake, and all nastiness). Led me to CHAIN.

Thanks for all the fish!

wjester3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
wjester3
1997 ZJ 

Forgot to mention......

I have a new CLOYES timing chain and gears...
and a new refurbished PCM

to go in as I get this back together.

Unread 07-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
wjester3
1997 ZJ 

How in the world can there be no replies to this thread yet..... As confusing as this is, I would have thought that this would be an interting topic of discussion.
Unread 07-28-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
wjester3
1997 ZJ 

This is truly unbelievable. I am so surprised there has been no discussion on this. Guess I will repost again....Perhaps a new title?

Tags
crank sensor , crank shaft , timing chain replacement , valve train

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.