valve cover oil fill cap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > valve cover oil fill cap

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
zeak411
1995 ZJ 

valve cover oil fill cap

so this has ben going on for a wile and dont no why on the 4.0 of my 1995 zj the oil fill cap on the valve cover is leaking a bit idk why is the valve cover bad i not sure and what to no what i can to to fix this

zeak411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
zeak411
1995 ZJ 

i have aready replaced the oil fill cap and did not fix it
Unread 09-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Check that the crankcase breather is clear. If it clogs then pressure in the crankcase is going to find the path of least resistance.
kachink is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
zeak411
1995 ZJ 

wear is it is it next to the air box if you could link me to a pic or wear it is at i no what your talking about just cant find it
Unread 09-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

I believe on the 4.0s, the breather is either the "elbow" looking thing infront of the oil cap or the one towards the firewall. It should be on the valve cover though. I'm not 100% sure as I have a 5.2L.
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
kachink
1998 ZJ 

This is on a 98. I'm not sure if the 95 is the same or not. It may have a PCV valve, but it's going to look similar to this. On this setup both lines should be clear. If it does have a PCV valve you should be able to blow through it from the valve cover side but not from the airbox side. Hopefully someone with a 93-95 4.0 can chime in and confirm or deny this. The plastic & rubber grommets get hard & brittle with age, so be prepared to go to the auto parts store and replace them if you break something taking it off.
98.jpg  
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
zeak411
1995 ZJ 

the pic is the same but the one behind the oil fill cap goes to a different part of the manifold but it should be the same thing so how do i check if these are flowing right cuz i took at look at it and those two fittings are leaking a bit of oil with the oil fill cap and soon i going to be replacing valve cover to so is that just something i need to get with the valve cover and thanks to all who are helping it means alot to me
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Pull the elbow fittings out and clean any gunk out. You should be able to blow through them and the hoses. The rear one is going to have a constriction with a small hole in it and the vapor flow goes from the crankcase on that one, it's the most likely to get blocked.
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
zeak411
1995 ZJ 

okay thanks i going to take a look at it tomorrow but about if this clogged up could it cause oil leaks in other places of the engin and is fixing this part going to fix those oil leaks that would make my day if that was true
Unread 10-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
zeak411
1995 ZJ 

so i took off it from the air box and the air gose through the oil fill cap wear the seem is can any one please help

Tags
oil , valve cover , valve cover gasket , valve cover leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.