Vacuum Lines Cruise Control - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vacuum Lines Cruise Control

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
3hundredkplus
1996 ZJ 

Vacuum Lines Cruise Control

96 ZJ 5.2L V8
So my cruise control doesn't work and my air only blows out of the defroster... I have found a bunch of threads that point to vacuum lines being the culprit here. However, I was wondering if anyone had some useful pictures of where to start/what to look for?

3hundredkplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
svons7
1996 ZJ 

the vacuum line that comes off on mine and causes this same exact issue is located right around the area circled in the pic

it comes straight off of the intake manifold if i remember correctly. ill try to take a close up pic later, this is a random one i found on the internet.

yours could very well have a leak somewhere else but that is one that comes loose whenever i check my trans fluid and i think it is a common vacuum line to come off.

Good luck!

ah sorry this was a pic of a 4.0 which i have. the diagram below seems to have the thing on the opposite side for the 5.2
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

The OP has the 5.2L, not the 4.0L. Here's the vacuum routing diagram for the 1993 5.2L - it shows that the vacuum for the cruise and climate systems comes off the left side of the intake manifold (as you're looking into the engine bay). The 1996 may of course be different, but probably isn't. Just follow the line coming off the PCV valve on the left valve cover, and it should hook up to the manifold right next to where the the cruise/climate vacuum line is.
vacuum-cropped.jpg  
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
3hundredkplus
1996 ZJ 

Where would the most likely place for the vacuum leak to be occuring? Or how do I find the leak?
Unread 04-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Look where the air conditioning tubing goes through the firewall. The vac line should pass thru there and usually breaks there.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hundredkplus View Post
96 ZJ 5.2L V8
So my cruise control doesn't work and my air only blows out of the defroster... I have found a bunch of threads that point to vacuum lines being the culprit here. However, I was wondering if anyone had some useful pictures of where to start/what to look for?
I can get you some good pictures of the V8 engine layout later tonight... You still need them?
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

As promised. Where you see circles is where the line can become disconnected. Follow the vacuum line and make sure it is still connected to the block.

Unread 04-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

In addition to what others mentioned also check the rubber hose under the battery box to make sure it hasn't rotted/come off. This is the line leading towards the front along the fender and the bottom of the plastic battery box is a vacuum reservoir.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
In addition to what others mentioned also check the rubber hose under the battery box to make sure it hasn't rotted/come off. This is the line leading towards the front along the fender and the bottom of the plastic battery box is a vacuum reservoir.
Ive wondered what that was for a zillion years. It must be there to disconect the CC in the event the battery gets thrown out of its holder.
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
Ive wondered what that was for a zillion years. It must be there to disconect the CC in the event the battery gets thrown out of its holder.
Maybe the rocket scientist designers just couldn't figure out where else to put a vacuum reservoir? LOL. Actually there are 3 typically rusted screws which hold the battery tray/box to the inner fender. So would bet the battery could come loose/out of there and the box would still be intact along with the vacuum line. Not hoping to find out....

Unread 04-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
3hundredkplus
1996 ZJ 

I found the disconnected line. It is at the split in StPaul59's first picture. Im not sure what to do to fix it, but will be taking a look at it tomorrow and will post results.
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I found the disconnected line. It is at the split in StPaul59's first picture. Im not sure what to do to fix it, but will be taking a look at it tomorrow and will post results.
Just reconnect them. They just push together. I just had this happen the other day while doing other stuff in that area.
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
If the plastic line's broke many will just put a piece of tight hose on the outside of the 2 broken line parts for a splice rather than trying to replace the plastic line itself. Good luck.

Unread 04-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
If the plastic line's broke many will just put a piece of tight hose on the outside of the 2 broken line parts for a splice rather than trying to replace the plastic line itself. Good luck.
I think duct tape would work for this line thats probably under low pressure.
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
3hundredkplus
1996 ZJ 

Rhe problem is the small vac line coming off the t is disconnected and I can't see where the other end is. Also I have a losse electrical connection. It is a two prong plug that comes out neer the far passenger side and goes over the coolant reservioir. I can't see a mate. I would upload pics but I can't seem to do so from mobile Anyone offer solutions.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.