V8 to I6 swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > V8 to I6 swap?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-30-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

V8 to I6 swap?

Has anyone ever done this? My mother went out and bought a 94 ZJ limited with the 5.2 in it, it was a good deal - 130K miles for $4000. I have an 89 XJ and I always wanted the I6 in any Jeep that my family owned. Has anyone ever swapped down? I would assume there would be t-case issues with doing that. The car has all time 4wd with the option of 4low - Im guessing that is quadratrac? Any info would be appreciated.

-Christian

Converted to TJ axles - 5-297 U-joints
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
cfkingfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
shookwell

Why would you want to swap a V8 for an I6?
Unread 04-30-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

Well, the reason is I have assumed that the I6 is more reliable, but that could just be my tendency towards XJs. Does anyone have opinions over which one is more reliable, the V8 or I6?

-Christian
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
Unread 04-30-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
mike57

I've owned both the I-6 and the 5.2, (currently have a 96 limited with the 5.2) and can say that they're both good engines. The 5.2 (318) has been around forever and is a real workhorse. I can only add that after getting used to the extra power of the V-8 it would be hard to go back to the I-6.
mike57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

I've also owned both, and I wouldn't go back for anything. Just my $.02, The power difference isn't even close. The only advantage I could possibly think of is that the plugs are easier to change on the I6

I actually sold my 98 w/I6 for my 99 because I wanted the V8. To each his own, hey as long as it's a JEEP

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2004, 06:51 PM   #6
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfkingfish
Well, the reason is I have assumed that the I6 is more reliable, but that could just be my tendency towards XJs. Does anyone have opinions over which one is more reliable, the V8 or I6?

-Christian

I married into an XJ and brought my own ZJ. My bride drove my 5.2 ZJ Limited once, and now her XJ just sits in the driveway. She is always coming up with excuses to drive my Jeep. And while I don't dislike her Jeep (it is a quick revving, gutsy little thing), I only drive it when I absolutely have to.
The 318 magnum is much more reliable than the I6 simply because it doesn't have to work as hard to get down the road. Both our Jeeps are properly tuned, and running well, yet my Grand gets better mileage because it "works" in the lower rpm range. We live in a mountainous state, and my Grand handles the climbs much better. Heck, for most of you "city folk", my driveway qualifies as intermediate off-road! That means that in the XJ I have to shift into 4WD part way up the drive, whereas the Grand just keeps on keepin' on.

On the other hand, I imagine it might be hard having your mom "out-Jeep" you everyday!
You might start looking for a 5.9 to shoehorn into your XJ!
Unread 04-30-2004, 06:56 PM   #7
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

I think the problem is I keep on forgetting that the 5.2 is just a 318 properly tuned for a Jeep. Its good to hear that they are equally reliable - I had never gotten feedback on the reliability of a 5.2, due to the fact that you cant get them in an XJ. I just had a friend or two that had to rebuild them fairly early (140,000 miles).

-Christian
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
Unread 04-30-2004, 07:04 PM   #8
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I think the problem is I keep on forgetting that the 5.2 is just a 318 properly tuned for a Jeep. Its good to hear that they are equally reliable - I had never gotten feedback on the reliability of a 5.2, due to the fact that you cant get them in an XJ. I just had a friend or two that had to rebuild them fairly early (140,000 miles).

-Christian

I suspect that is the down-side of owning a 5.2. It's a lot harder to resist spanking the ricers in a V8 than it is in an I6
Unread 04-30-2004, 09:09 PM   #9
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Don't do it. You'll regret that for the rest of your life.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2004, 10:49 PM   #10
DrumBoy
1998 ZJ 

I figured I would just post my question here rather than start a new thread since my question is the same but just the opposite.

Can anyone send me to a thread or a link as to where there is a comprehensive article regarding swapping the I-6 to a V-8? And has anyone on the board done this to their ZJ? And lastly, what V-8 engine is the more popular to swap to.

Thanks,
- DrumBoy.
DrumBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2004, 12:23 PM   #11
KingZeke

They get about the same gas mileage too. Don't do the swap.
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]IMCO Exhaust[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Almighty 2" BB Club Member # 38 [/COLOR]
KingZeke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2004, 03:36 PM   #12
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

When I got my grand I wanted the selec-trac instead of quad-trac so I had to get a 6. I can't imagine any reason down size the engine just to have a smaller engine?

The I6 is a good enough motor and can beat a kid on an electric scooter and in 4low has enough power for any wheeling I will do in my grand. It has enough power but is on the slow side.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2004, 03:09 PM   #13
sacto-zj

Quote:

-Christian
my 5.2l has got 180k on it with NO ENGINE PROBLEMS since i've gotten it and I bought it will 140k. Course I've other small stuff like blown cv joints, real barrings, main fuse *no clue how that happen*, and now water pump. But for it to have that many miles and to only be using 1/2 quart of oil between changes gotta love it.
Unread 05-06-2004, 07:17 PM   #14
KillerZJ

Are you serious?!? The 5.2 is a sweet engine and will last long enough most likely.

Wow no pictures in sig? F*cking gay.[/FONT]
KillerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2004, 06:53 AM   #15
MaineZJ

I've got 160K on my 5.2 and the only non-regular maintance it's needed was a water pump.

I'll get a diesel before not having a V8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.