Using jackstands with curved saddles on the frame rails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Using jackstands with curved saddles on the frame rails

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Using jackstands with curved saddles on the frame rails

Okay, so the official information from Chrysler is that jackstands should be placed under the frame rails. That's what I've been doing. Thing is, wherever I look, jackstands always seem to have curved saddles, like these :

Obviously they're meant to go under axles, so when you put them under the frame rails on a ZJ because you need axle droop, there isn't much of a contact patch and the weight of the vehicle is being concentrated on the tips of the saddle. Supposedly this isn't a problem, and I've never felt any movement when shaking my ZJ after placing the stands but... I always have that slight worry in the back of my mind, simply because the contact patch is so small. And looking at the frame rails, you can see dents where the saddle tips have been.

Is this something else I'm over-thinking?

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

So long as the frame rail fits inside of the tips, you're fine.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

With my 6-tonners, it doesn't. The frame rail is slightly wider than the tips, so the ZJ is literally sitting *on* the tips.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
JeepForever

I felt the same way, not liking the small saddles. I bought a bigger set for the frames. You could try one tab outside the frame and the other on an indent on the frame if there is one.
JeepForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
shaban
1996 ZJ 

I just put a piece of softwood 2x4 block between stand and the frame rail. Tips jam in the wood nicely and dont scratch the frame.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaban View Post
I just put a piece of softwood 2x4 block between stand and the frame rail. Tips jam in the wood nicely and dont scratch the frame.
Don't do this, soooo unsafe.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

If you want more stability, weld a big plate (probably 1/4" or so thick, at least 12" square) to the bottom "foot" of the stand, centered. That will make it MUCH harder to tip!

However, I've been using 2-ton stands for years - sometimes even putting "all four paws in the air," without incident, the saddle on them is about 3" wide. I may eventually make "socket adapters" to go on the ram/saddle to give enough width for the frame rail, but I haven't bothered to design them yet (or get some bar stock and machine out new rams, with wide saddles...)
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:

You should never block in between the the jack & load.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
I feel the same about using those stands on the unibody. Ive never had issues with them though. Ive been wanting to build some removable "cups" if you will, that slide over the saddles-making them wider- and then can be removed

Build thread^^
riot1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #10
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Err, guys, could any one please explain why using blocks is unsafe? I can understand using a tall block is no good because it can slip sideways or something,
but for a 1-2'' thick board, what can go wrong? And since its some soft pine the jack stand bites half way into it anyway.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #11
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaban
Err, guys, could any one please explain why using blocks is unsafe? I can understand using a tall block is no good because it can slip sideways or something,
but for a 1-2'' thick board, what can go wrong? And since its some soft pine the jack stand bites half way into it anyway.
Even if its that thin it may snap or slip or break and even if it falls only an inch 4000 pounds can generate a lot of force onto you or the jack or stands its falling onto.
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
It still doesnt grip the "frame rails," the wood could fracture and break, the jeep could crush your body and kill you until you die

Build thread^^
riot1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

if you use wood (I do sometimes) make sure to orient the grain of the wood so that the curvature of the jack saddle will direct the wood inward and retain it. If you orient it the other way and the wood splits, the block can fall out of place completely
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #14
ZJDusik
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post

kill you until you die
This ^

But I've never had a problem with putting the jackstands under certain parts of the axle, for short periods of time though. As long as you've got a wheel chock and have a slightly loaded jack.
ZJDusik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Just make sure that the Jeep is sitting firmly on on the axle stands before getting underneath. I always try to push it off and if it doesn't fall off then it's safe to get underneath
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.