Urgent wheel question! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Urgent wheel question!

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
bumgilligan
1996 ZJ 

Urgent wheel question!

Hi, so this is my first post but it's for a good cause.

I just got a 1996 I6 ZJ. It's my first jeep ever. Everything is stock. Wheels are worn looking and tires are old.

This is the question. Will 2008+ wrangler wheels fit on it? Some local lady is selling 5 stock wheels with new rubber for $150, seems like a great deal, but some guy commented on them saying you need spacers for any jeep older than 2007. Is this true? Are spacers cheap/easy to install/safe?

Thanks for any help!

bumgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

If the tires look good and are the same diameter as your stock rims.....go for it......whether the other rims fit or not. You can always re-sell the other rims.

Good, usable tires by themselves are worth $150 if they have plenty of tread and arent dry rotted.

I cant believe they are selling "new tires" for only $150.....so buyer beware.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
bumgilligan
1996 ZJ 

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

So I went and got them. turns out it wasn't brand new tires, just one was new, the rest are around 60% tread. But the rims looked good and the tires are still way better condition than mine.
They are WAY bigger than the wheels I have now though. I was planning a lift of some kind because I'm pretty sure my suspension is finished, but I figured better not pass on this deal, and if they don't work with my new lift then it won't be hard to re-sell them to get my money back.

But now that I have them I feel I need to make a move on the new suspension. The problem being that I have no idea of what to get because there is so much out there and I don't really know what I need. My friend said to just go to Maui Off-road, but I assumed that they would overcharge me for anything, and buying from the internet would be a cheaper way to go. Any pointers?
bumgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
KDStewart
1998 ZJ 

We'll need to know what you're wanting to do with your suspension before we can be much help. How high of lift? Do you have pics of the 18 inch wheels on your ZJ, I'm very curious about how that looks

edit: reread and saw the part about wanting to lift it
KDStewart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumgilligan View Post
I just got a 1996 I6 ZJ. It's my first jeep ever. Everything is stock. Wheels are worn looking and tires are old.

This is the question. Will 2008+ wrangler wheels fit on it?
ZJs have a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, JKs have 5 on 5" bolt pattern. They are not a direct fit. You can run 1" thick spacers that convert from your current 5 x 4.5 to 5 x 5 and they are safe to use. However, we definitely need to know the tire size and wheel backspacing of the JK to know if they fit with spacers or not.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
adavis39
2002 WJ 

the JK wheels are 6.25'' BS IIRC
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Those are JK Sahara wheels and tires, 18" rims (~6"BS) and I think 32" tires. You will need the adapter spacers mentioned to bolt them on, and even then will have a lot of difficulty running them without any lift. They'll rub like crazy.
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumgilligan View Post

This is the question. Will 2008+ wrangler wheels fit on it?
ZJs have a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, JKs have 5 on 5" bolt pattern. They are not a direct fit. You can run 1" thick spacers that convert from your current 5 x 4.5 to 5 x 5 and they are safe to use. Other option is to take your unit hubs and rear axle shafts to a machine shop and have them re-drilled to correct bolt pattern (= $$$, and you'd need to always re-drill unit hubs when they need replacing).

What you need to know is the difference between tire diameter and width:
* Largest stock ZJ tire size has been 245/70 R16 (30.5" diameter).
* The tires you've got now are 255/70 R18. That would equal to a 255/80 R16 tire, which in turn is roughly similar sized to a 265/75 R16 -> close to a 32" tire.

Those tires are on a 18" x 8" wheel, but I don't know what the JK backspacing is; most likely they have quite a lot of backspacing so you're ok to run 1" thick spacers to convert to correct bolt pattern. 255 is only 10mm (or 3/8") wider than the stock ZJ tires, so you can most likely fit those running 1.75" or 2" budget boost lift, and adding maybe an inch of bumpstopping.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.