Urgent help required....window regulator problem and 400 miles from home - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Urgent help required....window regulator problem and 400 miles from home

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 08-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Rockingdad
1998 ZJ 

Urgent help required....window regulator problem and 400 miles from home

Hi, I'm in the middle of nowhere and over 400 miles from home with minimal tools. Today the rear drivers side passenger window decided to no longer want to go back up. It will activate downwards but not up.

Can anyone help with a temp fix to just get the window up to weatherproof and secure the jeep.

Thanks

Rockingdad

Unread 08-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

If you have a Philips and a flathead and (duct tape or a wedge) take 20 or so minutes and take off the door panel. Get in there an lift the window up into place and either tape it in position or use a wedge in between the window and the Frame to hold it up. All I got sorry man

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum so it probably looks goofy.
RagTagSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Rockingdad
1998 ZJ 

Cheers fella but I cant push the window up.
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Rockingdad
1998 ZJ 

Sorry should clarify all door cards and everything off but with my hands in the door under the regulator to push it up it won't move... due to the gearing on the regulator I guess.
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
sandman92k
1998 ZJ 

Earplugs will have to work then
sandman92k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I don't remember how Jeep attached the glass to the regulator but you should be able to unbolt or unclip the glass from the regulator and push it up. You can also try unplugging the motor and running jumper wires straight from the battery. One way goes down and reverse to go up.

I had an issue with mine that one of the wires shorted out so it would only go down from the drivers panel. I could get it to go up and down with the door switch. The short would trip the circuit breaker when I tried to roll it up but rolling down the short was just another ground so it worked fine. I guess the door switch bypassed those wires.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Hvacdude
1994 ZJ 

Fix the broken wire in the drivers door harness. Same thing happend to mine. If it's the rear passenger window that wont go up, it is the green/white wire.
Hvacdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
Hvacdude
1994 ZJ 

oops, rear drivers side window. Those are the red/black and dark blue/white wires in the divers side door to body wire harness. Check to see if one of them is broken. Repair the wire and you'll be all set.
Hvacdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

take a few mins to take the door panel off. Then, look at the motor. there's 3 bolts that hold it in place. Loosen them all. Take 2 of them off and Rotate the motor. Push the window up. Once the window is up, rotate the motor back in place and put the bolts back in. Replace the Door Panel and drive on...

About a 15-20m fix.
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
Rockingdad
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the info everyone. I had to take the bolts out and push the window up. Did find one broken wire in the rear door loom but bridged it with no joy. Also direct fed the motor with no joy. I've just got home so will investigate over the next few days and feed back.

Thanks for your quick assistance in my hour of need... it absolutely poured down on the way home.
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockingdad View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. I had to take the bolts out and push the window up. Did find one broken wire in the rear door loom but bridged it with no joy. Also direct fed the motor with no joy. I've just got home so will investigate over the next few days and feed back.

Thanks for your quick assistance in my hour of need... it absolutely poured down on the way home.
Welcome. When you get it fixed, tell me what was wrong. Ours died in Janurary, and have yet to actually fix it.

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
Rockingdad
1998 ZJ 

Yep will do.
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
Rockingdad
1998 ZJ 

OK so quick update, tested the switch, thats fine, repaired the broken wire on the rear door shut loom and still nothing. Put power direct to the motor in both directs and nothing. Withdrew the motor and a couple of copper bits just fell out... hmm i'm guessing the motor is junk athough must be part of the brush as the motor and windings appeared to be intact. Replacement motor and assembly ordered (used) so will update after replacement.

The Jeep 08 GC manual I have says basically unbolt window from reg, unbolt reg from door and withdraw.... yeah like it's going to be THAT easy!
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

you can get the motor out without removing the regulator with the right tools and some patience.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
Rockingdad
1998 ZJ 

Hi everyone, apart from putting it all bavk together the issue is sorted. Here is what I've learned from the experience

The interior door trim panels come off easily.
If you can't get the window closed by other means you can either A) remove all the bolts holding the regulator to the inner door panel and you can push the window up but you will need to tape the window to hold it or put a prop in the inner part of the door to hold it. Or B) remove the motor from the regulator, push the window up and tape or wedge or re affix the motor in place to hold it.
You will need a 10mm spanner or very small ratchet and socket to remove the three bolts holding the motor to the regulator.
You can jump the motor with a direct 12v feed to test.
You will likely have a broken wire in the rubber boot of the door loom, I did in the affected door.

My fix was to resolder a broken loom wire and replace the motor and although the window went down and wouldn't come up on power testing the motor it was dead. I took it apart and the brushes just fell apart (in half).

Hope this helps someone else who might find themselves in a similar situation.

Rockingdad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.