Upper Radiator Hose? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Upper Radiator Hose?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 08-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
LostDogs87
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Upper Radiator Hose?

Just bought a 98 limited 5.2 with 175,000 miles. yes i know what your thinking, why would i buy a 5.2 with 175,000 miles. well, i only paid $650 and the body is almost mint, no leaks, no rust. tranny slips a little, but that's not a big deal right now. so here's my main concern. the upper radiator hose is completly flat at the top, whether the engine is running or not. the jeep does not overheat and runs like a champ. so for my question, is this normal? what would be the cause, how much pressure should flow through there? i'm going to pick up a new hose tomorrow. even though i don't think the hose is the problem. also i squeezed the hose while it was running and i dont feel any pressure in it. i dont think it's blocked because while it was running i had the rad cap off while i pinched the hose and the coolant overflowed from fill hole.

PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

LostDogs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 05:51 AM   #2
sebian
1995 ZJ 

I am not sure how much pressure should be in the cooling system, but it is definitely not normal for the hose to be flat. When warmed up, the hose should feel firm, with a little bit flex. I would get that hose replaced, and probably the radiator cap too. Then check it again after you warm up the Jeep to make sure the system is pressurizing.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
cappedup
1996 ZJ 

Also, when youve got the new rad cap and hose on, wait until the Jeep is at full operating temp, then the thermostat will have opened, everything should be flowing as it should. Then give the hose a squeeze.

Just done my top hose. Be sure to make sure it seals tightly, mine wasnt and i had some odd temp readings til i realised it was leaking slightly.
cappedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
melk
1996 ZJ 

As for the tranny just drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. Should help the slipping.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
LostDogs87
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Problem fixed!!
It was the radiator cap, got the hose but haven't replaces it yet. feels way too soft so i think i'm gonna take it back and get a better one.
and as for the tranny i already changed the fluid and filter. probably should have adjusted the bands, but guess i'll them next time. it doesn't slip that bad just sometimes it take a few seconds too shift out of second. some days it doesn't slip at all.
anyway thank's alot guys!!
LostDogs87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.