upgrading to triangulated rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > upgrading to triangulated rear

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 02-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
tower93zj
1993 ZJ 

upgrading to triangulated rear

I have a 93 jeep zj with long arms already instaled and Im looking to swap in a ford 8.8 rear. whille looking for a zj bracket kit i found most options are around 300 bucks shipped. but after looking on claytons website i found out i could buy there rear axle kit with the triangulated trust and the frame mounts for 650. So my question is does any one know the length of claytons rear long arms so i can see if mine will fit? I suppose it would be good to know the width of the joints as well. Any info will be helpful thanks.

tower93zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Hopefully this helps.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...rms-h-1324750/
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower93zj View Post
. . . So my question is does any one know the length of claytons rear long arms so i can see if mine will fit? I suppose it would be good to know the width of the joints as well. Any info will be helpful thanks.
I would have to measure mine. Or you are welcome to come see my setup for yourself.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
tower93zj
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
I would have to measure mine. Or you are welcome to come see my setup for yourself.
yeah that would be great i will pm you to set that up when i actualy buy my 8.8 some time this month. So you are not running a rear trackbar no right? Also i was wondering the benifits of triangulated over straight long arms i hear one is reduced bump steer?
Unread 02-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yeah that would be great i will pm you to set that up when i actualy buy my 8.8 some time this month. So you are not running a rear trackbar no right? Also i was wondering the benifits of triangulated over straight long arms i hear one is reduced bump steer?
you don't know what triangulated means do you?

or bumpsteer for that matter

sure you know what an 8.8 looks like?
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

Tower93zj Here ya go
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-68.htm

http://www.google.com/search?client=...vrgge2-5UE#p=0

Has far as links there are many types but
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=822968

Then the search here has a wealth of info along with the advanced forum. But in a nut shell triangulation allows for the axle to stay centered. At the same time allowing for much more suspension travel. At least that's how I see it. Im sure you know whats going on.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
No trackbar in the rear. The main benefit is simplicity. You might be able to squeeze out some additional flex but that will depend on your shocks. You better get limit straps or else you will be blowing out your shocks left and right.

Bump steer is a front axle phenomenon and you would have terrible bump steer with a triangulated front suspension. In the rear axle you get roll steer. Just like with the normal 5-link design you can get a fair amount of roll steer with a 4-link upper triangulated design. I would not worry about it.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
tower93zj
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
you don't know what triangulated means do you?

or bumpsteer for that matter

sure you know what an 8.8 looks like?
i was simply seaking out some info before i spend money i am aware of what these things are i made the mistake of reading information off the jeepspeed form from people like you who are clearly just out to boast. sorry if my miss use of a term has botherd you as much as it appeares
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
tower93zj
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
No trackbar in the rear. The main benefit is simplicity. You might be able to squeeze out some additional flex but that will depend on your shocks. You better get limit straps or else you will be blowing out your shocks left and right.

Bump steer is a front axle phenomenon and you would have terrible bump steer with a triangulated front suspension. In the rear axle you get roll steer. Just like with the normal 5-link design you can get a fair amount of roll steer with a 4-link upper triangulated design. I would not worry about it.
thanks for the information you have confirmed what i assumed a triagulated rear is. its nice to see a fellow zj out of this tinny state and i still am verry interested in seeing the set up on a similar jeep, and i still need to see if my LA's will be the right length to run this set up. thanks again

Tags
suspension , suspension brackets , swap , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.