To upgrade to a new (to me) or keep my existing 97 JGC? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > To upgrade to a new (to me) or keep my existing 97 JGC?

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 12-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
miles28
1997 ZJ 

To upgrade to a new (to me) or keep my existing 97 JGC?

Hello all. Been a while since I've been on this forum. Have a small conundrum. Here's the problems I'm experiencing with my 97' 4L ZJ:
• Surges, stall, bucks when coming to a stop, or trying to park (either in Drive or reverse). Gets worse during cold weather.
• Transmission starting to show sign of slippage
• Took Jeep in to a trusted Mechanic and said eventually a new Tranny rebuild w be in my future
• Diagnosed a bad Cat Converter (which I believe cause it sound like a can of rocks rattling around down there).
• Jeep has 222,400 miles on it.
I can either:
A. Have a new Cat converter put in and drive till next summer when I can afford to have transmission rebuilt
B. Put it up on Craigslist and get something (Jeep) slightly newer (2000) for which Ill take a small loan out from my Credit Union.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. If it is just the cat causing problems, I would buy a Magna flow from Autozone and have my local muffler shop install, but not really looking to sink $250-$450 into the Jeep only to have it continue to do what it's doing. Thanks much all.

miles28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Clogged/dead cat can cause issues. That with a trans issue could account for all issues listed, or it could be hiding something else.

How many miles?

I hate to see a good jeep die, I doubt you would get much for it on craigslist with the problems listed. A new jeep in my experience will always have some things wrong with it or that go wrong slightly after you buy it. It might be less money to fix the cat and get a good trans rebuild.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
miles28
1997 ZJ 

Thanks. The jeep has 222,400 miles on it
miles28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Mine is at 253K and no tranny issues except when the fluid gets a tiny bit low. They are very sensitive to low fluid, it seems. ( yeah, it's time to replace the pan gasket on mine).

The stalling can also be from low tranny fluid too.....but go thru Zeejay's list below and see if you can sort it out. (96-98 models have lots of PCM issues. I'm on my 6th OR 7th PCM, but at $300 each....it's cheaper than buying another Jeep with problems I dont yet know about)

Might want to take a look at this too.
http://http--www.dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/08-01-97.htm

Change the tranny filter and fluid, then click the link below for Zeejay's list. Go through it step by step.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.