Upgrade Dana 35c 3.55 Gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Upgrade Dana 35c 3.55 Gears

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 08-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
McBong840
1996 ZJ 

Upgrade Dana 35c 3.55 Gears

So, this being my first post, forgive my errors, please. Now then, there was a rubbing coming from my rear end. I opened up my (what I believe to be) Dana 35c, and of course, came across some lovely gouged and slightly chewed spider gears. The carrier seems to be fine, and I believe the pinion is okay as well. I was going to open it up again as soon as I had the cash and get a bearing and seal rebuild kit, since I'll be in there anyways. I was going to go with another set of stock gears, but then I was wondering... Is it possible to upgrade my gearing in my rear axle without changing anything besides the gears? Where would be a recommended place for finding a cheap, yet decent set of rear axle gears, and what size would everyone think is a good idea? I'd like to see more power at the low end of the RPMs. If you need anymore info, feel free to ask, since it is my first post.

McBong840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You need to do the front to match the back if you are changing the ratio.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
McBong840
1996 ZJ 

Alright, that's already more than I can put in right now. Thanks for the info. I'll stick with the 3.55's for now. Any suggestions for gear brands? I was looking at East Coast Gear Supply. It ended up being $94 with shipping for the spiders. There was a seal and bearing kit on there for $125, as well.
McBong840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

You might as well go to a junkyard and pull a couple axles from a v8 zj. They had 3.73's, and that way since you pull the whole axle, you don't have to pay a shop $1500 to regear for you, because it's not something that you can do in your garage over the weekend.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

I may have a used set of 35 spiders. I'll check this afternoon, but the bottom line is you can pick up a set here on JF in the classifieds section for very cheap. I wouldn't spend more than needed on a turdy5.

Tags
axle , dana 35 , gears , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.