Update - NP231 Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Update - NP231 Swap

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
shackwrrr

Why was the driveshaft shortened? Internal to external slip yoke?

shackwrrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJLTD View Post
Nice, sounds like It should be easier than I was thinking it was gonna be then. Did you change the plugs for the 4wd indicator on the vic? I can't decide if its worth the effort or not, my vic works fine (for now) and I kinda like having it but if I can manage to get my hands on 2wd cubby I might just go that route instead. I will definitely hit you up if I need anymore details, I'm feeling pretty solid about it at this point t though.
I don't mean to bomb your thread but I just PM'ed you there buddy.
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
Why was the driveshaft shortened? Internal to external slip yoke?
the 249 i took out was internal slip, the 231 from the xj was external. i removed an inch, this allows exactly one inch of slip before the shaft runs into the tcase, hope it is enough?
huntsducks70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsducks70 View Post
the 249 i took out was internal slip, the 231 from the xj was external. i removed an inch, this allows exactly one inch of slip before the shaft runs into the tcase, hope it is enough?
When the axle droops the drive shaft compresses and extends when it's horizontal so with the extra fat chicks you should be fine.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
When the axle droops the drive shaft compresses and extends when it's horizontal so with the extra fat chicks you should be fine.
damn, what's up with you and fat chicks, did you get dumped by one and now you have a vendetta against them? not very nice either way, they have feeling too, try to be nice to them

how high can i go with my stock driveshaft? is 5.5" reasonable?
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #21
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
damn, what's up with you and fat chicks, did you get dumped by one and now you have a vendetta against them? not very nice either way, they have feeling too, try to be nice to them

how high can i go with my stock driveshaft? is 5.5" reasonable?
I never said anything negative about fat chicks. The ZJ drive shafts are very long. There are plenty of folks on here taller than that with stock shafts.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #22
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Do you have the CV or u-joint type in the front? CV type will eat itself at about 3" of lift, u-joint type should be ok.

The rear isn't going to be an issue, I'm just under 6" and still with the stock shaft.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #23
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

I will be going from an ISY to an ESY when I swap my 231 in as well, however I'm also going to be lifting it 4.5 inches at the same time I do the t case swap. From what you guys just said, it sounds like I will still need to shorten my DS since I could go over 6 before I would have to possibly get it lengthened. Am I understanding that correctly, or is there a chance I may not have to shorten it since I will be lifting as well?

My build thread- [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/98zjltds-build-thread-1557637/[/url]
98ZJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #24
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I never said anything negative about fat chicks. The ZJ drive shafts are very long. There are plenty of folks on here taller than that with stock shafts.
thanks, good to know.
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #25
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Do you have the CV or u-joint type in the front? CV type will eat itself at about 3" of lift, u-joint type should be ok.

The rear isn't going to be an issue, I'm just under 6" and still with the stock shaft.
i have the double carden (u-joint) front shaft, so i should not have an issue at 5.5"?

thanks for the confirmation on the rear shaft, it is appreciated
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #26
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJLTD View Post
I will be going from an ISY to an ESY when I swap my 231 in as well, however I'm also going to be lifting it 4.5 inches at the same time I do the t case swap. From what you guys just said, it sounds like I will still need to shorten my DS since I could go over 6 before I would have to possibly get it lengthened. Am I understanding that correctly, or is there a chance I may not have to shorten it since I will be lifting as well?
i would definitely check the fit before committing to shortening the shaft, you may not need to do it, good luck Sir!
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
i have the double carden (u-joint) front shaft, so i should not have an issue at 5.5"?

thanks for the confirmation on the rear shaft, it is appreciated
thats on the transfer case end. Some of them had a cv joint at the axle
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #28
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
thats on the transfer case end. Some of them had a cv joint at the axle
got it, yes, it is a u-joint at the axle as well, thanks for the heads up.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #29
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
got it, yes, it is a u-joint at the axle as well, thanks for the heads up.
should be fine then with the u joint at the axle. Im at 2 inches and I had a cv and it blow up not even wheeling I was driving up onto car ramps to change my oil lol
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #30
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
should be fine then with the u joint at the axle. Im at 2 inches and I had a cv and it blow up not even wheeling I was driving up onto car ramps to change my oil lol
wow, that's crazy. i am guessing you now have a u-joint at the axle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.