Update on my smoking Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Update on my smoking Grand Cherokee

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
crombie09

Update on my smoking Grand Cherokee

For those who dont know I've been having some problems with my 93 4.0 GC smoking at idle. It gets to smoking pretty bad after sitting for a few minutes. Im pretty sure its oil that is burning b/c my coolant level is good and very green and my oil looks fine.

The GC has 179k miles on it. I just started running Rotella 15-40, yeah its diesel oil suggested to help clean the engine up. I ran seafoam through the brake booster hose and I added a can of BG 44K to the gas tank. Last night Im sitting at the drive through and smell what I think is a burning oil smell, look in my rearview and the darn thing is smoking again. I cant tell if its blue or white, Im kinda color blind. :-p

Things I need to get finished are putting on my Ebay exhaust manifold b/c mine is all cracked at the collector. I also want to replace the plugs with these copper champions I bought and let some seafoam soak on top of the pistons while the plugs are out.

Also there is some sort of oil leak at the back of the motor. I dont know if its the rear main seal or something that might look like a rear main seal leak.

Any thoughts?

crombie09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
sgarlic

Rotella itself won't do much to clean your engine up, it's just thicker so hopefully if it's your rings letting oil past this stuff won't be able to get past.

Has it always done this? Even before your exhaust manifold cracked?

I ask because in the stang community, we see a lot of guys improperly install aftermarket headers, and lots of them end up having oil burning due to how drastic the scavaging changes.
96 5.2 Ltd - Flame Red - Every factory option except engine block heater, [URL="http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/dccfan.html"]Taurus Electric Fan / Delta Current Controller[/URL], removed silencer, 15% tint.
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
user jeep

1993-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Reliability - Trouble Spots
-Oil leak: The rear main seals on 4.0-liter engines are prone to leakage if the vehicle is operated in dirty conditions. (1993-96)

mine is bad too
Unread 09-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
crombie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarlic
Rotella itself won't do much to clean your engine up, it's just thicker so hopefully if it's your rings letting oil past this stuff won't be able to get past.

Has it always done this? Even before your exhaust manifold cracked?

I ask because in the stang community, we see a lot of guys improperly install aftermarket headers, and lots of them end up having oil burning due to how drastic the scavaging changes.
Rotella is a diesel oil, diesel oils have more detergents in them than gas oils. I've been told by many that running diesel will help clean out the engine.

Im no sure, I've only had the Jeep for about a year and the mani has been cracked most of that time.

The new exhaust mani is just a stock replacement with little stress relievers on the 1 and 6 tubes to help resist cracking. Got it on Ebay for $70 shipped with both gaskets. A lot of guys are using these from what I've read and they work well.
Unread 09-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
sgarlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crombie09
Rotella is a diesel oil, diesel oils have more detergents in them than gas oils. I've been told by many that running diesel will help clean out the engine.
The benefit to running Rotella is that it's one of the cheapest synthetics you can get.. however, it doesn't have a BETTER detergent package than regular synthetic, it has a different detergent package specifically for cleaning different sorts of deposits left by running diesel fuel, (most of which your engine cannot take advantage of.)

Taken from Rotella's website:

"Diesel engines are different from gasoline engines in a number of significant ways which also affect the properties required from an oil.

Gasoline engines use different fuels, run faster and hotter than diesels.

Diesels are renowned for reliability and long life, but this relies on the engine oil providing the protection against the type of engine wear and deposit formations specific to diesels engines and fuel.

Shell ROTELLA® T engine oils are developed with the diesel engine in mind, but also meet gasoline performance credentials."

If you really want to clean the engine out, change your oil change interval to 1000 miles for a few oil changes, running seafoam through each time.
96 5.2 Ltd - Flame Red - Every factory option except engine block heater, [URL="http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/dccfan.html"]Taurus Electric Fan / Delta Current Controller[/URL], removed silencer, 15% tint.
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
crombie09

Did some work on the GC today at my work.

I installed Champion coppers replacing the NGKs that were installed when I bought the Jeep. I used a long funnel and poured about 1.5oz. of Seafoam into each cyclinder and let it sit while I went on to other things. Total it sat in there for about an hour. Just had some masking tape and numbered the wires so I would know where to put them back.

I also changed out my thermostat with an 180 degree one from Advanced. Cheap, like $4. Put on a new radiator cap, also $4. I was looking through the isles and saw some Water Wetter by Redline and the guy told me it was good stuff so I added a bottle of that to my coolant.

Put the new plugs in and covered the electrodes with dilectric grease. Started right up idleing really high, blowing smoke out the back like crazy. I revved it for a few minutes till all the smoke was gone and shut it down. Idle is a lot smoother and acceleration seems better. Might be just the old plugs needed to be changed.

Drove to the store and the temp never got close to the normal 210 and little over. Instead it ran at about 160 ish (or whatever 2 lines back from 210 is) on the highway and when it was sitting at idle for several minutes it only got close to the line before the 210 mark. Oh and so far.............its not smoking while just sitting at idle.

Also threw in some Silverstars. Supposed to be pretty good headlight bulbs.
Unread 09-24-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
crombie09

Well I went up to my GFs work today on her break and talked to her for about 20 minutes or so with the Jeep sitting there idleing. The smoking usually starts in about 5 minutes but even after 20 there was no smoking at all.

Maybe I fixed something?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.