Under hood light switch?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Under hood light switch??

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps

Unread 01-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Under hood light switch??

I know this is just a small convenience, but I tried to replace the hood light and found the hard way it does not turn off. Probably why it did not have one. After draining my battery over night, what is suppose to shut it off? I cannot find a switch or tilt switch anywhere and the wire just disappears into the wiring harness. Thanks! - Jeremy

kb9mfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If nobody pops up before then I'll have a look at the wiring diagrams in the FSM when I get home.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Believe it has a mercury switch in it but not sure.
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Coralman is correct, there is a mercury switch, right in the lamp socket assembly, it'self.
@ kb9mfd, just splice in a switch before the lamp, and you should be able to use the setup you installed. I'd be tempted to mount switch in engine compartment, just to remind myself to turn it off when finished with it.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
G-Man2
1996 ZJ 

If I remember correctly my 96zj has mercury switch in socket assembly and it controls the ground side of the light. The 12v side is always hot.
G-Man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Switch is in the base. Grab one from JY.

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.