Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Unbend a bent axle?

2K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Xpress 
#1 ·
The "new" axle I just bought for my POS is bent. Can see both wheels angled inward and the lowest portion of the axle appears to be sagging. Lots of whining noises coming from the axle as well, and I just replaced the hubs with 2 known good units. I am so confident it is bent that if I take a straight edge to it, it won't line up.

Any way to unbend this axle, maybe, perhaps? Or am I basically boned?

#3 ·
Once it's bent, it's scrap. Or put it in a trail rig and run it till it breaks :D

#5 ·
possible? yes. worthwhile? most likely not.

assuming front d30 since you mentioned hubs, they are cheap atleast around here. replace it and be done

#6 ·
This one was the cheapest around here (and it was still an hour and a half up north) and I got ripped off. Got there, decided to take it, loaded it up and offered the guy the $200, he said it was $250 in the ad. Turns out his ad said $200 but I couldn't verify on the spot :mad:

Unless I can find another one for $50 or less I'm boned :(

#7 ·
He sold you a bent axle? I would take it back and demand a refund. Even with the cost of gas, it's the principle of it. The seller was either clueless or more likely a scumbag. If he has any decency he'd give you a refund.

#9 ·
Thinking about just dumping it back into his yard and taking the loss. He ripped me off another $50, what makes you think he is honest? There's no way in hell he would give a refund.

Of course the axle would no longer be in useable shape...

#13 ·
Eh I can make more $ parting it out. Figure the gears/carrier and shafts are the top dollar parts, followed by brake hardware then bearings, the rest would be scrap or good for pillaging brackets off of.

#14 ·
Got a good drivetrain shop around there? The axle can be straightened and can be very effective afterward.....

Here's what I'd do. Pull the outers and carrier, just deal with a bare housing. Determine how and where it's bent with it up on jackstands. You should be able to look straight through it and see that the 4 circles--ends of the tubes and the inner seals--are not concentric. You might as well try this yourself since you've got nothing to lose. You'll have to get the tubes cherry red and will probably need to use a jack and chain to pull them straight. There are write-ups on Google.

Once you're straight, either inner sleeve the thing and/or add a light truss at least across the long tube. Weld it very slowly

#19 ·
there are other ways to straighten it without completely compromising the metal as well depending on where exactly it is bent at.

#18 ·
Where in Cali are you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.