JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   unbelivable bolt on tie rod side of steering stablizer (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/unbelivable-bolt-tie-rod-side-steering-stablizer-906439/)

am9010 11-20-2009 02:05 PM

unbelivable bolt on tie rod side of steering stablizer

i need every tip and trick known to jeep owners on how to take out the bolt connecting the steering stabilizer to the tie rod, ive already mushroom the bolt, destroyed threads by bashing it with a nut on, pitarm puller hasnt worked, ive torched the hell out of it, pb, pryed, im about to grind it down and drill threw it but the guys at ironrockoffroad dont suggest i do that. :confused::mad:

Apollo21 11-20-2009 02:17 PM

tried a bolt splitter yet?

JrMechanic 11-20-2009 02:39 PM

Just leave it in.

2tone93zj 11-20-2009 05:22 PM

yea it took me a long time to get that sucker out. You have to have a GOOD pitman arm puller with thick arms and heavy casting so it wont bend. Since u've mushroomed the bolt you have to cut off the end so that it will slide through the hole. So get a pitman arm puller like this:

http://getmetools.com/pics/li41970.jpg

Tighten it as tight as you can to the bolt with a breaker bar, then heat around the bolt with MAP gas or something hotter propane wont do it. heat it till the threads are glowing red then start tightening the pitman arm puller again it starts to get scary as there is so much force on that puller than something has to give and then BOOM wala the SS hits the oil pan and can leave a dent. So make sure you have some sort of protection for your face and the oil pan.

Good luck

Kramer H 11-20-2009 05:46 PM

torch it off? cutting torch has gotten me out of many tight jams.

indianajeep 11-20-2009 08:32 PM

I did this same job last night. I heated up the tie rod around the bolt for 10 minutes with a propane torch. Then I hit the end of the bolt 5 times on the end with a 4 pound hammer. I was lying on the ground under the passenger side and hitting it dead on. After the fifth hit it popped right out. Be careful not to heat up the bolt. It just makes it expand more in the the tie rod hole.

JrMechanic 11-20-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2tone93zj (Post 8329157)
yea it took me a long time to get that sucker out. You have to have a GOOD pitman arm puller with thick arms and heavy casting so it wont bend. Since u've mushroomed the bolt you have to cut off the end so that it will slide through the hole. So get a pitman arm puller like this:

http://getmetools.com/pics/li41970.jpg

Tighten it as tight as you can to the bolt with a breaker bar, then heat around the bolt with MAP gas or something hotter propane wont do it. heat it till the threads are glowing red then start tightening the pitman arm puller again it starts to get scary as there is so much force on that puller than something has to give and then BOOM wala the SS hits the oil pan and can leave a dent. So make sure you have some sort of protection for your face and the oil pan.

Good luck

This is NOT the proper way to use a puller. DO NOT DO THIS! You run the risk of breaking things, mainly the puller. That much force sending exploding chunks of metal is not good. The "proper" way to use a puller is to apply pressure to the bolt and tap it with a hammer. The puller itself is not meant to drive the bolt out.

Again, if it's mushroomed and not coming out unless you cut it out, just leave it in. The bolt is only for the steering stabilizer, it sees very little load, and if it were to fail, it isn't a safety concern. I ran mine like that for 6 months.

baxy 11-21-2009 10:11 AM

I usually rattle the side of the tapered bolt with an air hammer with a flat chisel installed in the hammer
pops right out

redhatman 11-21-2009 10:17 AM

When I installed my IRO Steering setup and replaced my stabilizer, how did I get that off? Oh yeah, I didnt I just left it on. They are a real pain in the a** man, but I would suggest heat and pb blaster. Just be careful with an open flame around the shock. They can explode.

indianajeep 11-21-2009 11:53 AM

I'm curious, did you get out the bolt, yet?

Mark4883 11-21-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apollo21 (Post 8328077)
tried a bolt splitter yet?

I hate these things with a passion.

am9010 11-25-2009 09:52 AM

yeah i got it out, i grinded that bolt flush with the tie rod bought a really small pitman arm puller so it wouldnt slip off under pressure, cranked it with a 4 foot breaker bar, bashed it with a 5 lb hammer when that ****er came off i thought it went through my engine block sounded like someone shot an SKS 3 feet from me HAHA :2thumbsup:

Apollo21 11-25-2009 10:07 AM

what's wrong with a bolt splitter?

SJZ 11-25-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apollo21 (Post 8356673)
what's wrong with a bolt splitter?

What's a "bolt splitter"? Do you mean a "nut splitter"? He already had the nut off. The tapered stud was stuck in the tie rod end's tapered hole.

Apollo21 11-25-2009 01:10 PM

oh my mistake

The time now is 07:01 AM.