UK NP249 Transfer Case Swap (+ PICS) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > UK NP249 Transfer Case Swap (+ PICS)

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
UK Cherry
2000 WJ 

UK NP249 Transfer Case Swap (+ PICS)

Bonjour

(pics below)

After running with a failing viscous coupler in a 1997 Grand for over a year and stuggling to park the vehicle without it bunny-hopping into position, I elected to either replace the VC or the case.

Considering the VC was about £200 + £150 shipping from the US and I could source a nice NP231 (command-trac) or NP242 (selec-trac) for considerably less, I chose to source a replacement TC. Sure enough, a 231 off a 1997 Cherokee turned up in London for £50.

The swap took a couple of weekends, as I wasn't rushing. Removing and dropping the old 249 wasn't that bad ......I only weigh 10.5 stone and am not especially strong

The input shafts had a different spline count (21 vs 23) so had to strip the cases down and swap the input shafts. It was useful exercise as I could see the condition of the new case and it looked new inside with minimum deposits on the magnet. I ordered a NP231 seal kit from Ebay US and fitted a new transmission output shaft seal to the back of the transmission and new seals at either end of the transfer case.

After refitting, the shifter mechanism needed no adjustment and driveshafts connected up without issue.

The net result, is the car being driven in rear-wheel drive and moving with much less effort. It also goes around corners and parks with complete ease. I'll try and source a new shifter command-trac surround.

So if anyone's mulling this procedure and has somewhere where they can leave their car with the back of the transmission missing for a while, I would recommend it.

G.

Hmmm...these look a bit large. Anyone know how to change the resolution on this site?

UK Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

those pictures are way too small, i can't see anything.

might wanna put a "no less than t1 line click here" warning in the title.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Holy s*$t! Those pics are almost big enough for wall posters! But good info for sure, I'm gonna be doing this in the distant future. Thanks!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
UK Cherry
2000 WJ 

...shrunk 'em.

G.
UK Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
zjBAMF

you know i work in the factory that makes those, but ive never stopped to look how they are fit together , kinda cool seeing all the parts in thier place
Steve "Fink" Finklestein: [Trying to persuade Landfill] I've got $4.
zjBAMF is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.