Ugh! It never ends... Headlights not working now. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ugh! It never ends... Headlights not working now.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 03-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Ugh! It never ends... Headlights not working now.

Does anyone have a schematic (KoreaZJ) for the headlight switch in a 97?
I Resoldered the headlight switch and it worked great. Had a problem with the fuse panel getting moisture in it and keeping the heater and VIC on. Got that fixed and now the headlights won't work and fuse #4/airbag blows everytime I turn on the ignition. The headlights came on yesterday for a couple of seconds and then went out. It does not matter if the switch is on auto or manual. Fog lights also do not work. High beams will flash on when the stalk is pulled but will not stay on. The dimmer switch will still turn on the interior lights. Got a short somewhere I think and would like the schematic to help trouble shoot.

Thanks and if anyone has any thoughts on it I would appreciate it!

MyKeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

See here for an on-line manual:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...?utm_source=cj
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Headlamps and fogs share a common ground, check inner fender near battery.

Junction Block Fuse#4 (10 amp) only supplies power to Airbag Control Module in center console (DB/WT wire) near parking brake handle. Might have a short in Junction Block. Disconnect battery NEG cable, wait a few minutes, unplug ACM, check if wire is still grounded.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Decided to pull the dash and harness and repair whatever I find.

Junction box still has water in it.

Oh well, I pulled it and I am in the process of cleaning and drying the plates. If anyone would like I have a few pics of the inside of the junction block as well as the 6 plates.
Unread 03-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyB View Post
...If anyone would like I have a few pics of the inside of the junction block as well as the 6 plates.
Please post here to help others.
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Panel

Water

Pins and more water

Plates with pins removed

Plates

Plate 1 (top plate)

Plate 6 (bottom plate)

After taking it apart and seeing the inside I think it would be almost impossible for it to short out.
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

I'm not going to lie. I was pretty scared to pull the pins and seperate the plates. My wife took one look at at the junction block "guts" and told me "no way!" If anyone needs to do this, take a lot of pictures so you can put it back together again. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The pictures I took helped. I labled the board and marked all the pins A B or C.
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #9
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Great pics!

Why so many wafer layers? Do they all have different circuits traces on the back?

How does it maintain good electrical contact between the layers?
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Not sure on the layers. Yes, they all have traces on the back.

It does not maintain any contact between the layers. All the traces go to the pins which go through the layers of plates and then get connected to relays and wiring harnesses etc.
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Got the dash pulled, junction box cleaned and dried, and found the leak. It appears that momma mopar missed a small seam when sealing at the factory. Or maybe the original seal failed. Anyway I have a tiny leak at the corner of the passenger side cowl. Pulled the wipers and cowl cover and applied new seam seal. First time ever using that thick nasty stuff. I hope it works. I think it should, find out tomarrow when it drys.
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Seam sealer worked great. No more leak. Yea! Dash back in but lost light before I could finish reinstalling it. Sorry to keep bumping this but hope it can help someone else. Should be the last update unless anyone has questions.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.