UC suspension on a stock ZJ... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > UC suspension on a stock ZJ...

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 02-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
JeepinJordan
1996 ZJ 

UC suspension on a stock ZJ...

I have a ZJ with stock suspension but what do I need for it to have the Upcountry package(Suspension components and tire size) and where can I score these. I dont want a puck lift or anything, but more of just a bigger, beefier stock suspension(I read the UC gave about a 1inch lift?). I want to keep this my daily driver and tow rig.

Also I am thinking about using newer shocks, what do you guys prefer for stock on a UC package without sacrificing the ride height and apperiance.

Let me know!

Unread 02-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

the upcountry suspension included stiffer coils and Sachs-Boge shocks. the ride height was 1" over stock
i believe you might be able to get the components from the dealer stiff... i doubt it though

as for the springs, i got a set off of a guy on craigslist but it took a long time to finally find them and they have high miles on them. (sad thing is I don't even want to use them anymore and they've just been sitting in my garage)
you could check junkyards too. if you found the shocks that came with the package they'd probably be shot at this point.

if you want new components, you could get old man emu coils and bilstein shocks

heres some info on it all http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/techart...coupgrade.html
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I just did this to my 94 and even without shocks it rides so much better. Any orvis you find in a JY will have the Upcountry 1" springs and Kolak has a good deal on Blistens i just recieved mine today. i have 4 orvis' in a local yard i might go back and get a few more sets of springs. A v8 tierod would also be a upgrade for your 4.0
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
JeepinJordan
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklopic View Post
the upcountry suspension included stiffer coils and Sachs-Boge shocks. the ride height was 1" over stock
i believe you might be able to get the components from the dealer stiff... i doubt it though

as for the springs, i got a set off of a guy on craigslist but it took a long time to finally find them and they have high miles on them. (sad thing is I don't even want to use them anymore and they've just been sitting in my garage)
you could check junkyards too. if you found the shocks that came with the package they'd probably be shot at this point.

if you want new components, you could get old man emu coils and bilstein shocks

heres some info on it all http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/techart...coupgrade.html
Thanks, yeah I was just reading that, I just want a better ride and a slight ride height adjustment for when I haul. I would think that most of the old UC suspension, if i were to find any, would be worn, and I dont want that. I will check out the emu coils though.

What about tires? Did the UC come with larger?
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
JeepinJordan
1996 ZJ 

Would I need longer shocks for the OME springs?
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

Depends on the springs you get, I think they sell them 1-3" longer
I know they have different spring rates based on the kind you buy, ie. Heavy duty and such

The package I don't believe came with bigger tires, but im not sure. The manual does list 2 different size tires in mine
you'd probably be able to fit 30s but I'm really not sure on that. There's something in the faqs that might help so ill look at that real quick
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

Unread 02-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
JeepinJordan
1996 ZJ 

Thanks! I found this if anyone else is looking on doing the same thing:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredve..._zj/index.html
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

not a problem, glad i could help
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
JeepinJordan
1996 ZJ 

yep, as with the tires, I dont think my 225/75s would look silly on a 1-1 1/2 " spring lift right?
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

My 97 ZJ with U/C came with 245/70 R15's on it, new. I still have the original spare too...lol ! I think the original front shocks were mounted upside down too, as I recall.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
JeepinJordan
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
My 97 ZJ with U/C came with 245/70 R15's on it, new. I still have the original spare too...lol ! I think the original front shocks were mounted upside down too, as I recall.
Could you show your 245/70 set up?
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
BlackDaddyZJ
1994 ZJ 

if your hauling stuff a lot it might be good for you to get air bags for the rear springs. i have them in my zj from when my dad used to tow with it and they help it to not squat dwn so far when loaded
IRO 4.5" Lift
35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's

98 5.9
Restored and daily driven
BlackDaddyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJordan View Post
Could you show your 245/70 set up?
Not now, because I no longer run those tires....but if it's something you doubt, they are probably listed on the original window sticker, which I still have. ( I ordered it new)

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
JeepinJordan
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDaddyZJ View Post
if your hauling stuff a lot it might be good for you to get air bags for the rear springs. i have them in my zj from when my dad used to tow with it and they help it to not squat dwn so far when loaded
Like the Firestone Coil-rite kit?
Pretty cheap I like it. Mine does squat too.

Tags
zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.