U.S. LPG conversions? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > U.S. LPG conversions?

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #16
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post
That would be pretty sweet, Oldfrog! If I may ask, do you get any royalties associated with your land or did you get unlucky with the good 'ol lawyered up exclusion lists?
Everyone with any sense got a signing bonus between $500 and $25,000 an acre plus a 25% royalty for a 3 years lease when it first came into play. ( nat gas prices were higher then.) That includes people in subdivisions, condos, too. Then the bottom dropped out on gas prices and the leases were renewed for much less in many cases. Lots of new millionaires were instantly created in the rural areas. I know a poor farmer who was holding on my the skin of his teeth when it all hit. Now his family is living the good life and I couldnt be happier for him.

As for the other poster, who spoke about CNG, that's not what the Sasol company does, as I understand it. They have a process which actually converts it to a usable, liquid fuel....but maybe I'm mistaken. Not LNG, per se...which has to be super cooled....but something you can pour out of a can. I know about the solvents....just not 100% certain about the fuel. All I really DO know is that they are building a 21 billion dollar plant in Lake Charles, LA....( and the real estate values which have skyrocketed as a result)

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 01:35 AM   #17
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
One thing to note is that your gallon is 4.55L, whereas our gallon is only 3.785L. So your 36mpg is 30mpg of ours.

Still pretty damned good.
yeah i was going to mention that but i was just going to show the real economic benefits of running LPG and thats without all the good it does to your engine and the environment (if your worried about that).

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 03:38 AM   #18
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

It is fantastic for us in the UK - I have a petrol station in my home town, one halfway to work, and one about 400yds from work - so I never need petrol anymore! And with a gallon of petrol being close to ten dollars now, and gas being less than half that - it is brilliant! I've yet to finish a full tank of LPG since I fitted the new front end gas kit (the one mine came with was badly bodged in, household lamp cord and bare wires everywhere) - but when I do run out, it'll automatically switch to petrol, beep at me to tell me it's done so, and I can work out the equivalent MPG as I reset the odometer to zero when I filled it up.
Exdecuk - does your conversion have the "emergency" feature of being able to start on gas? Basically you hold down the changeover button before you even start the engine, it takes a few cranks, then fires up - I normally do this all the time to do without petrol altogether. Seems not a lot of people know about it, including my LPG installer mate in Wales - but he tried it the other night at 0 degrees, and it worked - on a Prins system. Mine is AEB/King. Try starting it with the change button held in, then hold it at about 2000rpm for about 30 seconds - can be a bit hesitant at first, but I have mine down to a fine art! Still keep a full tank of petrol and a 25 litre jerry can of petrol in the boot, mind!
Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 03:40 AM   #19
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdecuk View Post
yeah i was going to mention that but i was just going to show the real economic benefits of running LPG and thats without all the good it does to your engine and the environment (if your worried about that).
And your oil comes out the same colour it went in... satisfying!
A bit like sweetcorn, I suppose.
Unread 01-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro16 View Post
And your oil comes out the same colour it went in... satisfying!
A bit like sweetcorn, I suppose.
And tomato seeds

Never tried it on the Jeep or the BMW, will give it a go tomorrow. If i sat there for 30 secs or so in the Jeep @ 2000rpm the neighbours would have a few things to say

I hava a garage 800 yds away selling at 0.78 p/ltr & another a mile away @ 0.69 p/ltr then on the way to London @ 0.65 p/ltr so shopping around pays off. I dont know how the expensive one (BP) can sell it for that? must be because BP stand for "BAST*RD THIEVES" !!

Did yours originally have the single point system when you got it? Just wondered how much more efficient a multi point would be over a single point. I had a single point on a GCZG 4.0 in 98 with the same tank set up as we have now and IIRC i used to get about 180 miles per tank of LPG @ 90% Motorway (highway) @ 70mph & 10% city.

You should be able to fit something to the Jeep to run a grill off the tank, if you look at camper vans these have take offs for this sort of thing with a bottle on the other end so a "T" off the feed pipe running through a bottle regulator should be sweet.

Unread 01-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #21
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

$10 a gallon? Geez! How much of that is tax?

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #22
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
$10 a gallon? Geez! How much of that is tax?
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooots

UK fuel duty is currently 58p per litre for petrol and diesel. Vehicle fuels with a lower impact on carbon emissions or air quality are taxed at lower duty rates; these include liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), compressed natural gas (CNG) and electricity.

Other than fuel duty, the forecourt price of a litre of fuel also includes the product cost (around 50p per litre), Value Added Tax (in the region of 20-25p per litre depending on price)

Unread 01-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #23
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Nope, a badly bodged multipoint system - I suspect it was taken from another car, and put on by the owner himself. The reducer was cracked, bucketing water into the filter and engine, meaning that the top speed on gas was about 50mph uphill! I quickly got used to hitting the changeover switch when needed, like overtaking... Still haven't used a drop of petrol since I got the new AEB front end kit on - it starts on gas and runs on it.
I may just fit a grill outlet purely to cook burgers on at work - but the flamethrower would be so much more fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdecuk View Post
Did yours originally have the single point system when you got it? Just wondered how much more efficient a multi point would be over a single point. I had a single point on a GCZG 4.0 in 98 with the same tank set up as we have now and IIRC i used to get about 180 miles per tank of LPG @ 90% Motorway (highway) @ 70mph & 10% city.

You should be able to fit something to the Jeep to run a grill off the tank, if you look at camper vans these have take offs for this sort of thing with a bottle on the other end so a "T" off the feed pipe running through a bottle regulator should be sweet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.