U.S. LPG conversions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > U.S. LPG conversions?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

U.S. LPG conversions?

Does anyone have any info yet on some American legal conversion systems for dual fuel set ups? I've been eying some of the conversion kits for generators for this and have been thinking.. If it's as simple as bolt on a regulator and drill two holes, why can't they have something for jeeps that's this simple? Does anyone have any recent info on this? the few articles here are dating 08 and earlier and primarily only outside here, i.e. UK, Czech, Poland, Australia..
Some proper kits with underbody mounting points would be pretty awesome since gas is starting to go back up to $4+ per gallon in some places.

[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Timer96
1996 ZJ 

They have v8 chevy kits on ebay. Without even looking at the details I am sure it can work for a jeep. But as far being legal.....I havent seen any.
Timer96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

yeah, AFAIK, it's pretty far from legal having your active fuel cell inside the vehicle's cabin anywhere in the U.S. Only exception being non-road rated vehicles(drag cars, mud boggers, dune buggies, etc). but for the trail only people, that could be great.
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

I have it on my ZJ - the large fuel tank is replaced by a small gasoline tank and a large LPG tank, and mounted where the original was - so it's still outside the car. see the thread here...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...4-0-a-2023297/
Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro16 View Post
I have it on my ZJ - the large fuel tank is replaced by a small gasoline tank and a large LPG tank, and mounted where the original was - so it's still outside the car. see the thread here...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...4-0-a-2023297/
That's really nice. I was actually looking to retain the original petrol capabilities with ability to use strictly lpg, but for those looking to do the straight conversion that's an excellent piece, thank you for sharing!

Sent from mobile, where errors are common and I'm too lazy to correct them.
Gearhead31 Hooah!
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

You can rejig the tanks any way you want them really - mine just came with that type. If I want to start on LPG from cold, I hold the button down while cranking, and it starts on LPG. Want to switch to petrol? Push the button, and it switches over seamlessly. Want to start on petrol, then have it automatically switch to gas once it's good and warm? Just start as normal. You can do anything you want with it, really... I'm looking into a grill that would plug into the rear bumper, for a nice bit of camping...
Maybe a flamethrower as well...
Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro16 View Post
You can rejig the tanks any way you want them really - mine just came with that type. If I want to start on LPG from cold, I hold the button down while cranking, and it starts on LPG. Want to switch to petrol? Push the button, and it switches over seamlessly. Want to start on petrol, then have it automatically switch to gas once it's good and warm? Just start as normal. You can do anything you want with it, really... I'm looking into a grill that would plug into the rear bumper, for a nice bit of camping...
Maybe a flamethrower as well...
I like your thinking lol, flamethrower and a grill. Sounds like a good camping trip to me!
I'll do a bit of research on that, it sounds like what I'm thinking about

Sent from mobile, where errors are common and I'm too lazy to correct them.
Gearhead31 Hooah!
Unread 01-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Because I own real estate on top of the Haynesville shale play, I'm interested in learning what the Sasol plant in Lake Charles, LA is going to make available. The south African company turns natural gas into liquid fuels and solvents, as I understand it. If that's correct, it's going to be pretty cool.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

That would be pretty sweet, Oldfrog! If I may ask, do you get any royalties associated with your land or did you get unlucky with the good 'ol lawyered up exclusion lists?
Unread 01-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Natural gas is a different beast to LPG, by the way. LPG is a by-product of oil mining, and requires much less pressure to liquefy, much more widely used on cars.
CNG (compressed natural) does not liquefy much, so has to be compressed a lot to give you any decent mileage per tank. Its way cheaper though, but refueling equipment is expensive due to high pressures, and mileage is still not as good as LPG.

Compressor set (the cheapest) is around 3-5 grand new just for overnight charge type.
Car equipment is a bit more expensive than LPG due to thicker steel tank, but not by a lot.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

mileage, costs and efficiency, gasoline>LPG>CNG.
From what I hear, a 20lb bottle of LPG can be compared, rough average, to 5 gallons of gas, correct? That's how it works with the generator conversions at least in a general rule of thumb
Unread 01-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #12
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post
mileage, costs and efficiency, gasoline>LPG>CNG.
From what I hear, a 20lb bottle of LPG can be compared, rough average, to 5 gallons of gas, correct? That's how it works with the generator conversions at least in a general rule of thumb
In the UK LPG in the bottle is for BBQs etc & sold by weight. LPG at the fuel station is sold by litres the same as petrol. You get virtually the same mileage for the same amount of petrol / LPG but LPG is half the cost so in effect it doubles your mileage. On a run keeping to 70mph my 9er returns the equivalent of about 36mpg (full tank to full tank)

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #13
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdecuk View Post
In the UK LPG in the bottle is for BBQs etc & sold by weight. LPG at the fuel station is sold by litres the same as petrol. You get virtually the same mileage for the same amount of petrol / LPG but LPG is half the cost so in effect it doubles your mileage. On a run keeping to 70mph my 9er returns the equivalent of about 36mpg (full tank to full tank)
bloody brits, you get all the fun toys That's pretty awesome though! If I'm right in rough mental conversions, LPG for grills(by the 20lb tanks and the like) avg around 60-70% the cost of regular unleaded(87 octane) gas here, going by the cheapest of both in the area.
Unread 01-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdecuk View Post
One thing to note is that your gallon is 4.55L, whereas our gallon is only 3.785L. So your 36mpg is 30mpg of ours.

Still pretty damned good.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #15
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
One thing to note is that your gallon is 4.55L, whereas our gallon is only 3.785L. So your 36mpg is 30mpg of ours.

Still pretty damned good.
Good catch!

" The imperial (UK) gallon (ig), defined as exactly 4.54609 litres"
"The US gallon, which is equal to 3.785411784 litres"
Source - Wikipedia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.