Tyres - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tyres

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
kopite77
2000 WJ 

Tyres

Hi,
I have a year 2000 jeep grand cherokee limited from the united kingdom. 2 questions regarding the tyres. first one is, does anyone know how many miles on average i would get from a goodyear wrangler 245 r16 hp h rating tyre?
alsso, i got a puncture thee other day and my spare is pretty worn down. when thee rescue team came to change it the took me home instead of changing it as they said if i drove using the fairly worn tyre and thee rest were pretty new, it would break the differentials and isnt advised. is this true. if thats the case. if i ever get a puncture that cant be repaired again, wwould i have to change both tyres on thee same axle or not?
thanks

kopite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
mikeumkc
2009 JK Wrangler 

I dont know how many miles you can expect to get out of the wrangler tires. As for driving on a worn tire, it would help to know a little more about your jeep. Is it in stock form? Is it a quadradrive? If it is a quadradrive, then there is a hint of validity to their claims. You should not drive the jeep with one odd sized tire for any length of time. Limping home on a "worn" tire that is the same size as the others...in my opinion wouldn't hurt anything.

I would not drive around for thousands of miles (or kilometers ) on brand new tires on three corners and a severely worn tire on one wheel. For a short distance, i don't think this would affect much.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Unread 05-24-2006, 02:03 PM   #3
kopite77
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeumkc
I dont know how many miles you can expect to get out of the wrangler tires. As for driving on a worn tire, it would help to know a little more about your jeep. Is it in stock form? Is it a quadradrive? If it is a quadradrive, then there is a hint of validity to their claims. You should not drive the jeep with one odd sized tire for any length of time. Limping home on a "worn" tire that is the same size as the others...in my opinion wouldn't hurt anything.

I would not drive around for thousands of miles (or kilometers ) on brand new tires on three corners and a severely worn tire on one wheel. For a short distance, i don't think this would affect much.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

not sure if it is a quadradrive or not mate.
all i know is it is a 2000 4litre petrol grand cherokee. sorry mate im a real newbie with this lot. not sure what you mean about stock form either.sorry for being so un helpful!
Unread 05-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
mikeumkc
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopite77
not sure if it is a quadradrive or not mate.
all i know is it is a 2000 4litre petrol grand cherokee. sorry mate im a real newbie with this lot. not sure what you mean about stock form either.sorry for being so un helpful!

Alright, does it have a badge on the back of the car that says "quadradrive"? Is it a 4x4? Do you have to shift it into 4 wheel drive, or is it always in 4 wheel drive?

As for stock form, I meant have you done any modifications to the vehicle? Have you done any work on the differentials, suspension, etc?
Unread 05-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
kopite77
2000 WJ 

it doesnt have the quadradrive badge on the back but i do have the seperate gear shifter to put it into off road so i guess its not always in 4x4.
no mods whatsoever on the vehicle.
thanks
Unread 05-24-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
mikeumkc
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopite77
it doesnt have the quadradrive badge on the back but i do have the seperate gear shifter to put it into off road so i guess its not always in 4x4.
no mods whatsoever on the vehicle.
thanks

I honestly dont think that you have anything to worry about then. If someone else knows something about the UK Jeeps that I don't know, then please chime in.

If it were my Jeep and I had the selec-trac (the 4x4 system that allows you to shift in and out of 4 wheel drive) or even quadra-trac (but not quadradrive) then I wouldnt worry about differences in tire size, especially in an emergancy situation or for just a short time.

If you have a limited slip rear differential (an option on some jeeps) that might throw a little wrench into it, but again.....for just a short, temporary drive, I wouldnt worry myself about it.
Unread 05-25-2006, 02:51 AM   #7
kopite77
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeumkc
I honestly dont think that you have anything to worry about then. If someone else knows something about the UK Jeeps that I don't know, then please chime in.

If it were my Jeep and I had the selec-trac (the 4x4 system that allows you to shift in and out of 4 wheel drive) or even quadra-trac (but not quadradrive) then I wouldnt worry about differences in tire size, especially in an emergancy situation or for just a short time.

If you have a limited slip rear differential (an option on some jeeps) that might throw a little wrench into it, but again.....for just a short, temporary drive, I wouldnt worry myself about it.

I've just looked and noticed on the gaer shifter, it says quadra-trak II. does this make any difference
Unread 05-25-2006, 06:31 AM   #8
mikeumkc
2009 JK Wrangler 

not really, unless you have a limited slip rear differential. Even then, like i said.....to limp home on, I wouldnt worry about it.
Unread 05-25-2006, 07:17 AM   #9
kopite77
2000 WJ 

cheers mate.
Unread 05-25-2006, 08:56 AM   #10
mikeumkc
2009 JK Wrangler 

Have a good weekend.
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:27 AM   #11
kopite77
2000 WJ 

sorry to be a pain guys but i have another question about the above mentioned tyres.
does anybody know what psi i am supposed to inflate my tyres at?
I only use it for normal road use and not off road. thanks
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #12
MSU.WJ
2000 WJ 

between 30 and 35 psi, depending on how firm you like your ride.
MSU.WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 09:05 AM   #13
kopite77
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU.WJ
between 30 and 35 psi, depending on how firm you like your ride.
i previously had my pressure on about 38 psi and found it slid very easily on bends etc. is this normal and i presume bring the psi down, it should grip more??
Unread 06-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #14
ajmorell

It should, as lowering the pressure in the tires will slightly increase their contact with the pavement. Lowering the pressure should help it ride a little bit softer too.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 03:37 PM   #15
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell
It should, as lowering the pressure in the tires will slightly increase their contact with the pavement. Lowering the pressure should help it ride a little bit softer too.
At the cost of reduced gas milage and increased tire wear.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but driving with on tire odd sized with quadratrak II (QTII) is asking for transfer case (TC) or differential damage that can cost $$$$s. I think I would rather pay $$s for a tow (TC in neutral) preferably on a flatbed towtruck. Also, start rotating tires to include the spare so all are the same diameter.

Oh. Welcome to the forum.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.