Two question Alternator and mechanic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Two question Alternator and mechanic

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Two question Alternator and mechanic

Have any of you 5.9 owners replaced your squealing alternator with the 136 amp replacement? If so how has it worked out?

Does any one here know of a trustworthy mechanic in Las Vegas? I need to get this thing looked at before I start buying replacement parts.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Your 1998 ZJ LA360 should have the 136A alternator from the factory - it's the only part listed for that year in my catalogue. You should be able to go up to 160A - I've posted lists of potential donors for Nippondensos going that high.

You should be able to do the job yourself - it's not terribly difficult. Worst case, pillage around in your chapter for someone willing to teach you for brats & beer (my usual fee is assessed in pizza and Pepsi, but that's just me. I don't care for brats, I can stand beer here in the States.) It will probably take you all of an hour - two at the outside - barring complications.

When it comes to mechanics, there are three I've trusted. My granddad died a few years back, "Dr. Doug" is retired by now, and I'm the only one of the three out here in CA anyhow. I was taking mechanic's classes a few years back to get myself certified, and I've seen what has been going into these schools - and what's coming out of them. They're relying too much on OBD for my comfort - I've run into cases where OBD was wrong (and it's a horrible specific troubleshooter anyhow.)
Unread 08-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Your 1998 ZJ LA360 should have the 136A alternator from the factory - it's the only part listed for that year in my catalogue. You should be able to go up to 160A - I've posted lists of potential donors for Nippondensos going that high.

You should be able to do the job yourself - it's not terribly difficult. Worst case, pillage around in your chapter for someone willing to teach you for brats & beer (my usual fee is assessed in pizza and Pepsi, but that's just me. I don't care for brats, I can stand beer here in the States.) It will probably take you all of an hour - two at the outside - barring complications.

When it comes to mechanics, there are three I've trusted. My granddad died a few years back, "Dr. Doug" is retired by now, and I'm the only one of the three out here in CA anyhow. I was taking mechanic's classes a few years back to get myself certified, and I've seen what has been going into these schools - and what's coming out of them. They're relying too much on OBD for my comfort - I've run into cases where OBD was wrong (and it's a horrible specific troubleshooter anyhow.)
I hear you on the mechanics story. It is like searching for a needle in a haystack. I like doing this kind of stuff on my own but I don't have the stock pile of tools that I used to and if my rear end needs more than wheel bearings I'd rather find out at a shop than apart in my garage with no way to go get the proper equipment. I have a 5.9 so it's got the 150 amp alternator which they don't make anymore. I can get the 136 amp all day long but I was wondering if anyone with a 5.9 noticed any difference performance wise between the two before I went and got one. I have read the higher output alternator draw more from the engine as well. I have also read that with the 160 amp you would need to upgrade the battery cables. If that's the case I would rather not do that since it's just extra money.

I would be more than happy to pay in beers, pizza, or money for a trustworthy and dependable mech.
Unread 08-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I found a video of a Grand Cherokee with the same sound coming from the rear as mine makes. Sound like wheel bearings to you?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.