Two problems that may or may not be related - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Two problems that may or may not be related

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Styxun
1998 ZJ 

Two problems that may or may not be related

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L V8 with Quadra-Trac I 4WD.

First off, excuse me if I sound like a noob, as this is my first Jeep. I've done a bit of work on it myself, so I've gotten a generic understanding of some of the parts, but some of it is still giving me problems. When I bought the thing, there were a few problems: an ABS sensor light, the passenger side floorboard flooding, the coolant sensor fault light on the VIC, and loud clicking when I turn too sharply.

I used the guide for the coolant sensor fix, re-soldered the cracked pin and that was golden. I did the traditional fix for the passenger side A/C flooding and got a wet-dry vac in there and sucked up all the water, but a few days later, it was standing water again. I took it to the dealership and they said they could do a thorough cleaning of the A/C drain for $200, and they did. However, days later it was standing water once more. It's not flooding the rear passenger side floorboard anymore, so that may be relevant.

I'm getting the brakes taken care of soon here so hopefully they'll take care of the ABS sensor as well. However, it's the clicking and the flooding that's giving me the most problems. I read the guide where you cut open the wheel-well and put a length of tube in there to help with water draining, but I don't really want to cut into the frame just yet before all other avenues are looked into.

The clicking usually happens when I turn too sharply, and it makes the whole car shake and can be heard from quite some distance away. It clicks faster when I accelerate and sometimes even after I straighten out from a turn. However, sometimes after I come to a complete stop, I have to rev it up to about 1k-1.5k RPM before it will jerk forward and start moving. I recently had the B-02 recall fix for the floor shifter not being in park, but that wasn't really a problem, however now when I shift to reverse, it has to be rev'd to 1k to 1.5k before it will move backwards as well.

I'm pretty sure the vehicle is mostly stock, so it may rule out a lift problem, but since the clicking speeds up when I accelerate, could it be a problem with gears? The guy I bought it from had a lot of work done on it before he sold it to me like the axles and joints, so I doubt it'd be a bad CV joint.

As for the water problem, we originally thought it could be the sunroof, but the headliner isn't wet, and the sunroof appears to have already been resealed with a form of clear-vinyl.

I know I've been rambling, but any help would be great.

Styxun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

viscous coupler is likely the cause of your "clicking". do a search on here, you'll find tons of info on it
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Sounds like a bad CV axle or bad U-joints to me. Bad CV joints click when you turn to sharp when they are bad. Either of those could cause binding. A bad VC inside the transfer case will cause binding as well.

The water sounds like a clogged A/C drain, very common.

Check the transmission dipstick while running warm in neutral for the shift lag.

The ABS light is usually a broken wire or bad sensor at the axle, next to the tone rings.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.