Two possibly dumb questions about pistons/cylinders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Two possibly dumb questions about pistons/cylinders

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Two possibly dumb questions about pistons/cylinders

I'm about to start cleaning up my piston tops. It's OK for me to turn the crankshaft by hand in order to bring each piston to the top of its cylinder and make it easier to clean, correct?

And once I'm ready to put the head back on, should I give each cylinder bore a coat of oil?

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Yes and yes. You don't want a lot of oil in the cylinders, just a thin coat. And use brass tools on the pistons so you don't gouge up the aluminum.
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Cool, thanks.

Any recommendations for carbon-removing solvents?

EDIT - I can't find any brass scrapers locally, but I have got some stiff brass cup brushes which I use in my drill. Are they safe to use on the pistons?
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

soak in seafoam or kerosene. use brass or stainless wire brushes. never scrape or use power tools.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
soak in seafoam or kerosene. use brass or stainless wire brushes. never scrape or use power tools.
I cant say anything for kerosene but seafoam works amazing for soaking into the carbon stuck to the top of a piston. I used it on my mothers plymouth breeze when I did the headgasket.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #6
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Either solvent will work, just make sure you do an oil change since some of it is bound to get by the rings while cleaning.
I don't even remember where I got my brass scraper, but it came in real handy for the tough deposits. Short of that, a hard plastic scraper, even a homemade one, with a good edge would help the tough spots. Just be careful when scraping.
The brass brush in a drill should work, just go easy with it. Try it lightly in the center of a piston and see how it works. You're not going to need a lot of pressure, especially if the carbon has been soaking. I would try a brass hand brush first, and go to the drill if you find hard stuff.
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

As long as you are just cleaning the tops of the pistons you don’t need to worry too much about small nicks, scrapes and gouges. It used to be fairly common practice for high performance shops to hand fit domed pistons to a combustion chamber using a safe edge bastard file. A lot of people will clearance a piston for larger valves using a dremel. Shops will routinely mill a piston face down a few thousandths to set the piston relief and quench volume. Heck, I’ve seen engine rebuilding books recommend stamping the piston number in the piston face during disassembly. If you want to ceramic coat pistons the first thing you do is sand blast the crowns to give the coating tooth to adhere to. Small nicks won’t make your piston unbalanced or shatter under load. As long as you aren’t sitting there watching the wire brush dig a channel into your piston you’ll be fine.

Ring lands on the other hand need to be protected. And watch out that you don’t get and stray wire shed from the wire brush or wheel stuck between the bore and the piston. They will work their way down to the rings and make trouble.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.