Two part question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Two part question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
JMSMN
1997 ZJ 

Two part question

First, i can get a rear end out of an 01 mountaineer. Is that an 8.8 just like the explorer?
Second, im going to be buying a locker for my HP30 im building, I cant decide between and electric or air actuated. Is there really any pros or cons to either? Is either of them more problematic than the others?

JMSMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
galarneauwillia
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSMN View Post
First, i can get a rear end out of an 01 mountaineer. Is that an 8.8 just like the explorer?
Second, im going to be buying a locker for my HP30 im building, I cant decide between and electric or air actuated. Is there really any pros or cons to either? Is either of them more problematic than the others?
I believe you can I would try to get an 8.8 with factory limited slip.
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Forget the limited slip... not worth the trouble.

Both electric and air work well.

Electric, you have to make sure the wires stay clear of any obstructions but you can bend them at 90 degrees easily without issue so they are easier to route and much easier to fix on the trail if you do have an issue. Also, you can get armored cable as well and anchor it well.

Air, you have less options in routing the line as you can only bend it so much so there is a slightly higher chance of snagging it with an object. Armored air lines are available but very bulky and expensive. And leaks in the system can occur. You also need to have a compressor so another piece of gear to fail.

I prefer electric and went with OX front and rear on both my YJ and my ZJ

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
JMSMN
1997 ZJ 

But it is an 8.8?
JMSMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSMN View Post
But it is an 8.8?
More than likely is... get the tag number on the diff and look it up. Will tell you all about it.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
JasonStebbins
Obv

1997 ZJ 

Should be the same thing. The only thing that might be different would be the ratios from the different size engine. A lot of the Mountaineers had 5.0s in them. 3.73 with limited slip.

12 things to do when your ZJ stalls by ZeeJay1997
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.