Two issues that I have - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Two issues that I have

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
TKFlight
1995 ZJ 

Two issues that I have

Just gonna get right two the point

1. At low speeds when turning(like turning into a parking spot). The Jeep just starts shuddering. But its only at low speeds when turning.

2. Power steering pump is making some sort of noise. I'll post a video of what it sounds like.

Sounds like that but not as loud, also skip ahead in the video a bit so you don't have to listen to her talk. lol. But yea it sounds like that. So is the pump on its way out?

Unread 01-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

What transfer case is in your Jeep? 249?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
TKFlight
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
What transfer case is in your Jeep? 249?
I would assume so yes, its to cold out in PA for me to go and check. Snow everywhere lol. But I believe its the original. The original owner took care of it, but the guy I bought it from didn't so I'm running into all these stupid problems.
Unread 01-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Regarding the transfer case, if your tcase shift lever has "4HI-N-4LO" on the bezel than it's 249 case. If its "2WD-4PT-4FT-N-4LO" then it's 242.

So, if you've got a 249 tcase, it's got a viscous coupler that's known to die by 150 000 miles. It causes both axles more or less locked together, like in part-time 4WD, which causes binding, hopping and shuddering on tight turns on dry pavement.

The options are:
- Replace with a new viscous coupler, requires taking the tcase apart and $350-450 for the new VC. Works good afterwards if you don't get a dodgy cheapo VC (some negative experience from someone here).
- Replace with a 242 case off some junkyard XJ or ZJ, fits almost seamlessly with some caveats (input gear shaft length and output yoke style), there's a huge thread on this swap pinned on top of the ZJ forum. Costs about $200 for a junkyard tcase.

Regarding the pump, check the fluid level, and check the fluid itself for bubbles in it.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The 249 was not common on the 4.0's. The 242 was. But some 4.0's did get the 249 which has a viscous coupler inside it that goes bad after about 130k miles. It can cause those lumpy, shuddering, hopping feelings you have at low speeds when turning. That's because it has worn out and it's locking the front and rear DS together.You will know if you have a 249 or not because it will be a full time transfer case with only 4 hi and 4 lo. If your gear selector has different options than that then it's not a 249 so there's a different problem.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
TKFlight
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
"2WD-4PT-4FT-N-4LO" then it's 242.
My Jeep lever has all 5 of those, but I'll double check tomorrow and report back.

My grandfather owns his own garage and he told me a few months ago that the u joints are worn, but I guess good enough for daily driving. So could that cause the shuddering? So on 249 cases they only have 3 things not the 5 that the 242 has. If so I have the 242 then.
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFlight View Post
My Jeep lever has all 5 of those, but I'll double check tomorrow and report back.

My grandfather owns his own garage and he told me a few months ago that the u joints are worn, but I guess good enough for daily driving. So could that cause the shuddering? So on 249 cases they only have 3 things not the 5 that the 242 has. If so I have the 242 then.
Check under neither to make sure the linkage is allowing it to be in 2wd.
The power steering pump or steering gear could be going. The pump could be putting a larger than normal amount of resistance on the serp belt and actually be bogging down the motor. My PS pump is toast, I can't turn the wheels while stationary and have come close to choking out my v8 trying to turn it parked. Binding joints on the the axle shafts could also cause it if they were rusted/grease less but that's doubtful

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.