tutorial for ecu replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tutorial for ecu replacement?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
94GC52

tutorial for ecu replacement?

so my girlfriend bought her grandpas 94 jeep GC recently, it was having problems starting in the last couple weeks. she bought it in florida to drive back to minnesota and the last couple weeks we were there it would take longer to start the colder it got there only on cold starts it was 30-40 deg. when the problem started.

example: turn the key, just cranks. no firing or fuel pump priming, no check engine light at first, but if you left the key in on position the security light would come on then go off, the asd and pump relays click then stop, then the cel would flash as the fuel pump tries to prime, then go off when the relays stopped clicking and the pump finally primed.

other than that runs great for 235k on the clock.

still drove it back with the bad ecu, stopped in georgia the 1st night took 30+ mins the do its electrical spasm then it started.

2nd night stopped in kentucky and it was much colder there and after 45 mins with the key in ON still wouldnt click and the security light never turned off.

i expected that so i brought a extension cord and used a hairdrier blowing hot air on the ecu/ecm and started clicking after 30 sec. and stopped clicking after 15 or more and started right up. didnt stop again after that till we were home

after this i know the ecu is bad soi bought a new one from oreilys, mine was 56029302, got the one that replaces the exact part number.

330 minus 70 core and since theres no returns on electrical stuff i want to make sure i dont mess it up. other than disconnecting the neg battery terminal is there any other DO's or DONT's or can anyone link me to a tutorial?

thanks alot for any help

94GC52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Coletrickle
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It's easy. Should only take 10 minutes.

Remove your coolant overflow tank (3 bolts and 2 of them you only have to loosen and slide the tank clips from under them).

Loosen the bolt in the center of the wire terminal. It should pull the terminal apart as it loosens. If it doesn't (like mine) gently pry the terminal out of the ECM with a wide pry bar.

There are 4 or 5 bolts that hold the ECM to the firewall, remove them, remove the ECM and do everything I just said in reverse order.

Hook up battery cable. You're done.
Homegrown Bumper
Aussie
Coletrickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
94GC52

thank you, it looked like an easy job i just wanted to make sure i didnt fry the ecu
Unread 01-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
94GC52

that fixed the problem, she starts right up.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.