turns but wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > turns but wont start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
justinspotanske
1993 ZJ 

turns but wont start

I have posted this a few times and nothing yet has worked so I thought I would give it another try . Once in a while when I go to start my 93 grand cherokee whith a 4.0 it turns over fine but will not start . I have to try several times just to get a sputter . When it decides to sputter on the next crank I will floor it and it will usually start . Will run like crap for a few seconds but everything evens out . I have in the past year replaced the fuel filter , plugs , wires , cap , rotor , iac , and air filter . I am out of ideas of this issue since after awhile it will start . Any ideas to concider or check ?

justinspotanske is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
melk
1996 ZJ 

Crank sensor, TPS
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
DirtDodd
1999 WJ 

Could it be the O2 sensor?
And is the check engine light on? Have you cycled the key on and off three times to check for codes?

And there is a great resource on here that has helped me checking my 93 out called "12 things to check" or something like that if you haven't found that already. Very helpful write-up!
DirtDodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
justinspotanske
1993 ZJ 

I have a new o2 sensor and no lights are on or have been recorded by cycling the key
justinspotanske is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

classic symptoms of blown caps in the PCM.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
nckmbl

Check the automatic engine shutoff fuse under the hood.
nckmbl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
wolfjeep73
1993 ZJ 

i am having the same issue i found it wont start untill the check engine lite comes on then it will start no problem is there a way to fix this issue
wolfjeep73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfjeep73 View Post
i am having the same issue i found it wont start untill the check engine lite comes on then it will start no problem is there a way to fix this issue
it's blown capacitors in the pcm. long history of those problems in 93-95 jeeps. a google or jeepforum search will give you the info you need.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
wolfjeep73
1993 ZJ 

ty ratmonkey this is my second 93 and it has the i6 my first had the v8 and all wheel drive i like my new one better but i am seeing the same issues in this one as i had in my last one like leaking fuel when i fill the tank and not shifting properly i need to get this one on the path to a good life so i can make her into a real trail rig for me and my kids to have fun in
wolfjeep73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.