Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

turned a/c on and 5 minutes in check gauges and pegged hott on temp....

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  cirame1 
#1 ·
Well i used my jeep for the first time in a month or so today and it was about 80 out. I turned my a/c on and it worked pretty good for about 10 minutes. Then all of a sudden it started blowing not cold air and kinda warm air out. Then the check gauges light beeped and came on and my heat pegged. I shut off the a/c and shut the jeep off. i then started it and the light was gone and the jeep continued to run kinda hott for the next 20 or so minutes. What would have caused it and why. Im full of coolant and the water pump was working as i know. My belt is also tight and im pretty sure my fan was on. Does the a/c gettin warm have the same to do with the temp gauge pegging hott?

#2 ·
It definately can. I had a vehicle idling in AZ one summer and after an hour the ac was warm but the engine didnt overheat. As soon as I was moving and the condensor got some airflow the ac went cold again.

If your condensor is getting hot the ac wont work like it should. If the vehicle is that hot the radiator is likely very hot and touches the condensor so it all makes sense.

#5 ·
havnt had a chance but i would assume it would be. ill check it out. Should it be on high when the a/c is on period? and it should also be on when the engine hits wats 210 degrees?

#6 ·
Like everyone else has said, you should check to see if your fan is working, but i would be willing to bet that your A/C clutch is toast. 99 percent sure

#7 ·
yea i still havnt had a chance to check while its on if the fan is running but this happened again the other day. I was on the highway and it was like 85 out and i said ill try the ac again and sure enough it worked great for like 15 minutes. then sure enough the air got warm again and temp gauge started climbin shortly after. of course i shut it off and opened the windows but the temp continued to climb even after i shut the ac off. I had to oull ovder and let it sit and cool befotre i could continue drivin. Ur thinking the a/c clutch is toast?? i dont know much about the ac system where is it located?

#8 ·
Your fans not kicking on, I'll place a $20 paypal bet on it. When there is no airflow to cool the R134 in the condenser your high side pressure gets to high (around 300-350 PSI) and your compressor will start cycling on/off and you'll get warm air. This can also put an extra load on your engine and the idle will change when the compressor cycles on/off at idle.
The A/C clutch is part of the compressor, but it's normal to cycle if your high side pressure gets to high.

#9 ·
When are the proper times for the fan to kick on? Im not an expert on the cooling system. does the fan turn on wen t stat opens at a certain temp like 205? Ill run my zj in my driveway with a/c on until it does its thing about 10 minutes in and the vehicle temp should rise as the air gets hott. The fan should also be on correct? If its not ill know my problem. the funny thing is to even with the a/c off and me driveing the engine continues to get hoter and hotter until i pull over and shut if off for a bit.

#11 ·
The fan should always be on when the AC is on. Without it comes on a little after the thermostat opens (like 210 I think)

#10 ·
its also 100 out today fml

#13 ·
well sure enough a/c on the fan is not on. so now i know the issue wat woudl cause the fan to not kick on?? also well the jeep wouldnt cool bc i was off and on high speed to stop and go traffic so that would prob be y with no fan. Think its not kicking on bc a fuse issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.