turn signal lens broken, what's the easiest fix? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > turn signal lens broken, what's the easiest fix?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-02-2004, 04:28 PM   #1
Camster

turn signal lens broken, what's the easiest fix?

Well got in an accident a while back (backed into someone) didn't do any damage besides busting my turn signal, drivers side rear. The light itself is fine it's just the orange plastic covering that's broken. It caused me to fail inspection. I was wondering what the easiest fix for this problem would be. Will it require replacing the whole break light unit or can i get by doing something else. cost is defnitely a consideration. thanks.
96 ZJ

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2004, 05:21 PM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If you do not replace the whole unit, then it could leak. Search ebay to save $$

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2004, 09:34 PM   #3
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster
Well got in an accident a while back (backed into someone) didn't do any damage besides busting my turn signal, drivers side rear. The light itself is fine it's just the orange plastic covering that's broken. It caused me to fail inspection. I was wondering what the easiest fix for this problem would be. Will it require replacing the whole break light unit or can i get by doing something else. cost is defnitely a consideration. thanks.
96 ZJ

A couple things come to mind. First, the law says you can't have any white lights (other than back up) on the rear of your vehicle. When the orange lens breaks, you suddenly have white light from the bulb shining forth. Nothing says you have to have a colored lens, just that your turn signal has to be amber, and visible for a certain distance. Technically, you could replace your white bulb with an amber bulb and pass inspection. Of course, the inspector may or may not see it your way. Alternatively, they used to sell, and probably still do sell, turn signal lens repair kits at the auto parts stores, such as Auto Zone.
Hey, I just did a quick check, and guess what? Ace Hardware sells just what you need, I think.
Unread 04-02-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Had the same thing happen to me but it was the rear brake light, I went to the junkyard and pulled the whole assembly in about 2 minutes, it's just a couple of screws and unplug the lights. Cost me about $50...Good luck finding one.

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2004, 08:53 AM   #5
Camster

Ok guys, thanks. I'm going to go check out AutoZone first, see if i can find a solution. If that doesn't work i'll head to the junkyard.

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2004, 03:26 PM   #6
DrumBoy
1998 ZJ 

I say just bite the bullet and replace it. I just looks better and you will be sure to pass inspection. Like "Greasefingers" said, Ebay is a great place for finding an used OEM lens since there are some people buying those Altezza lenses they are turning around and selling their perfectly good OEM's and that's where you might save a few $$$.

Or try http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgd...04040316210288 they have an OEM section as well.

Good Luck Hunting,
DrumBoy.

1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo I-6
K&N FIPK
Gibson GP400S Header
Kolak 2.5" exhaust system
Flowmaster 50
Bored TB w/Poweraid TBS
Optima Yellow Top Battery
Mean Green Alternator/Starter
DrumBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.