Turbo 4.0l ZJ - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Turbo 4.0l ZJ

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #586
TurboTPI
1995 ZJ 

I think base fuel pressure is in the 65lb range if I recall correctly. With the turbo I have, it will start building boost around 1800-2000 rpm

09 Polaris Dragon 800 (His)
TurboTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #587
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Turbo, I got the same t3/t4 turbo as you, along with the adjustable fuel pressure regulator and so far oil feed line. What did you use as a downpipe? Also the manifold pipe that has the four holes on the turbo? I'm thinking of running 10-12psi on 93 octane. Is an intercooler a necessity?
ryanfuscozj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #588
Jjmx11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfuscozj
Turbo, I got the same t3/t4 turbo as you, along with the adjustable fuel pressure regulator and so far oil feed line. What did you use as a downpipe? Also the manifold pipe that has the four holes on the turbo? I'm thinking of running 10-12psi on 93 octane. Is an intercooler a necessity?
The turbo compresses the air. As you compress the air, the air heats up (basic gas laws will tell you this - PV=nRT). In order to keep intake temps down, build power, and decrease the risk of detonation, intercoolers are used to cool the compressed air from the turbo down to a more appropriate level.
Jjmx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #589
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

Intercooler would be recommended but I am sure you could work around it. I run 8 psi non cooled on my Miata. Three important things.... High octane, a box from MSD that retards the timing at boost and I also run water methanol.

I imagine an intercooler would be easier on a jeep
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #590
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

I already plan to run 93 octane perhaps with octane booster, and I was looking into msd, just not sure what to get. Blaster? Coil? No idea. If I had to keep it cool I may run some sort of water cooling system.
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #591
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTPI
I think base fuel pressure is in the 65lb range if I recall correctly. With the turbo I have, it will start building boost around 1800-2000 rpm
Turbo, help me please. I have many questions that i could really use some help on. What do you use for fuel management? How is your air/fuel ratio; is it running too lean with all that extra air? Is a wastegate a necessity? If you tuned it, how did you? Did you use anything to retard the timing like a box or anything from msd?
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #592
TurboTPI
1995 ZJ 

I don't have any boost/retard box, but before the Intercooler it would detonate some with 93 octane at 8lbs of boost. I figured an Intercooler would be best, cools the air (more power) and no loss in power cause of retarting ignition timing. I have the air/fuel ratio at about 11:1.
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #593
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

So if I didn't use any type of box or anything I would be okay? Did you tune the PCM? Do you have 24# injectors? How did you get it to an 11:1 ratio?
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #594
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTPI
I don't have any boost/retard box, but before the Intercooler it would detonate some with 93 octane at 8lbs of boost. I figured an Intercooler would be best, cools the air (more power) and no loss in power cause of retarting ignition timing. I have the air/fuel ratio at about 11:1.
Also did you ever run a wastegate or bov?
Unread 10-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #595
JustinMatherly9
1998 ZJ 

Very interested in this build I think as soon as I get a few things touched up I'm going to start stockpiling for this and and saving for a paint job. Just want to confirm that what I should need on a 1998 would be.

Exhaust manifold and Y pipe from TJ (also a little curious on how that connects back to your exhaust if you could get back to me on that)
Older fuel rail with in line fuel filter and return line +Fuel pressure regulator (really unsure if oem fuel injectors will cut it but after reading whole thread seemed like I could use them especially if whats said about 97+jeeps having larger ones is true)
heater core from suburban with rear heat, water pump from buick 3.8
turbocharger itself
The oil feed line
The obvious tubing to throttle body from turbo /turbo air filter
Then I was curious about how you go to a colder plug. I feel like I should know this because I work at autozone, but is that the next metal type up or do they sell colder copper plugs?
As well as (this sounds really dumb, but you guys are more experienced with this and could throw me a quicker answer) if my jeep has the MAF or MAP and if I have the MAF if there is anyway around the upstream BOV such as I really want to get a atmospheric BOV when I turbo, but I know OBDII is going to have a fit when I go for all of this so just if theres any simpler ways or how to find someone who could program my computer or anything. I have a general idea of all of this I just rather have someone clarify for me and point me in the right direction.

Also curious about regular unleaded gas or about how to tell if I'm getting 93octane or e85.

Thanks a lot guys and thank you Turbo for this build thread.
JustinMatherly9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #596
TurboTPI
1995 ZJ 

So, to be honest, I haven't drove my jeep much this summer. I pretty much drove my car everyday. But I've been driving the jeep the last few weeks. But it really started to cool off here in Chicago the last few days. Highs in the 30's. Its awesome. The jeep is a totally different animal when it's cold. It rips!! It will spin the tires at a 15-20mph roll! It's pretty fast in warm temps, but it shreds in the cold. I Seriously need to dyno it in the cold. lol
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #597
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

I am basically done with my turbo, I just have to install my bigger fuel pump, AFPR, and fuel pressure gauge. I was driving it around after everything was in and it pulls much harder, but it's running lean right now so I can't drive it until all my parts are in
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #598
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTPI View Post
So, to be honest, I haven't drove my jeep much this summer. I pretty much drove my car everyday. But I've been driving the jeep the last few weeks. But it really started to cool off here in Chicago the last few days. Highs in the 30's. Its awesome. The jeep is a totally different animal when it's cold. It rips!! It will spin the tires at a 15-20mph roll! It's pretty fast in warm temps, but it shreds in the cold. I Seriously need to dyno it in the cold. lol
Make some new videos of that beast.
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #599
TurboTPI
1995 ZJ 

I will take some new videos soon. I had to put a thermostat in it the weekend. I noticed the temp gauge staying near 100 degrees and the heat was pretty weak. Got a 180 degree stat. And put it in. The old one was broke, and stuck open, as my suspicions thought. Now I'm running cooler and safer.
Unread 10-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #600
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

I want a turbo for my 96 zj 4.0 so baddd, I would have no clue on what to buy, or how to install everything guess it'll just be one of those things on the "wish list."

www.youtube.com/pharis88

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...hread-1507279/
PHARIS88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.