Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Turbo 4.0l ZJ

201K views 627 replies 116 participants last post by  TurboTPI 
#1 ·
I am starting a project. I have a turbo on the way for my daily driver/weekend worrier ZJ. I have experience in turbo setups. The 4.0 has a strong bottom end and I'm going to push it. My thoughts are 5-7 lbs of boost on 93 octane. I'm going to do a fuel management unit at the ratio of 12:1. (12psi of fuel pressure to 1lb of boost) Photos will follow. Wish me luck. Lol. This will be a test of the 4.0l engine. Mind has 210,000 miles on it now. We will see how it holds up. It currently does not use any oil or leak any. And I take very good care of it maintenance wise.

#3 ·
subscribed :thumbsup:

#6 ·
what will you be using to tune?
plan on running any meth/water injection?
what will you use to monitor everything?
any cats in the exhaust? (always been a fan of catless)
which turbo?
running an intercooler i assume?
i have no (read: absolutely 0) knowledge of turboing jeeps so will you have to do any work to the maf or will the stock maf work?
have you thought about an upgraded fuel pump or can the stock pump handle what you're after?
step colder plugs?
blah blah blah

#7 ·
I would like to see how this works out my plan was to build the block I just pulled and have my friend build it for boost. Unfortunately the rod shot through the wall of cyl #2 into #1 :( he currently holds the record for the worlds fastest eclipse spyder built the engine himself so I figured what the heck. I would like to see what you put down also consider meth should help out quite a bit. I know the 4.0 block can handle 1000hp+ so this should be interesting!

#341 ·
I meant to ask if you were talking about Nick Fox with the eclipse?

#9 · (Edited)
with an 8 cylinder, i'd supercharge, i think with the 6cyl you can go either way. (not because i know anything, but from what i've seen in the past - turbo 4 bangers and supercharged 8cyls)
really curious to see how this pans out.
efini, please post some pics and/or info on turbo builds - i was just thinking about this today - who has turbo'd their zj?

#23 ·
i have not yet but i have a 5.2 in here now wich will be replaced with an stroked 350 :) gonna start on it as a winter project. slightly bored over and will have edelbrock heads straight pipe from the heads towards the sides and will have a new tranny not sure what yet. and will get rest of driveline upgraded. yes it will be a monster everything i have is pulled ready to be build except for the tranny. when its all done its gonne be lifted 4 i the front and 4.5 in the rear looking at the power that comes off the rear. thought about putting all this in my 71 oldsmobile cutlass but having a zj like that would be pretty special:) cant wait to see final result!!!! is it just gonna be a turbo?

#10 ·
My cousin built a turbo'd 4.0 but its a an XJ I believe. Its a Cherokee..Idk anything about them. He lives in Puerto Rico and I haven't gone to visit him, but he claims to have around 350hp and has a lot of other custom work done to it. If I can get some info and photos from him I'll get back to you.

#11 ·
TurboTPI..I just realized you were in Bensenville. I'm in Vernon Hills. Depending on how this turbo build goes for you, would you be interested in doing another? :p

Screw that...wanna help with a lot of things? Such as...a lift...how about control arm bushings..can you change those out or no?

#13 ·
I would have turbo'd my 4.0 by now but every setup ive seen on the XJs was a total ***** for the builder, just plain old not enough space.
Always wanted to turbo something. Good luck!!!

#15 ·
Thanks for wishing me luck. Haha. The Turbo I have is a t3/t4, 57 trim. Is supports about 450hp, obviously I will not be making near that, but it should do good on a 4.0l. I'm not intercooling it for now. Depending on how things go, I may add some type of intercooled later on. As for tuning it, the fuel management unit I'm getting should work fine. All it does is raise the fuel pressure with boost pressure. Quite simple. When I get the turbo (early next week) I will be working on the location of the turbo. As of now I'm thinking passenger side of the engine. Hopefully i will be able to keep the a/c. The a/c receiver/drier is gonna be tight tho.

#24 ·
EfiniMotorsport said:
I've got a few of them and not sure how to post that many. You can check them out on my flikr at flikr.com/photos/breilly81
I will check out the pictures. Thanks man.

#25 ·
#26 ·
^^^Flaming chicken was a automatic?? Nonetheless glad to see youre the real deal!

#28 ·
Heat soak will be an issue dude, with exhaust and intake on the same side of the head AND No intercooler.. Id buy some good good heat wrap, and plan on doing a headgasket (MHG if you can find one) with some ARP bolts to ensure you dont lift the head.. That T3/T4 turbo you have? what brand ? whats the hot side size (when you expect it to spool) ?? is it just oil cooled or oil/coolant?..

Id be sure to have a wideband as well bro..
Watch your timming.. Pray for no detonation lol
Good luck man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.