Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tune Up on a 99 GC?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  10achik 
#1 ·
My wife's 99 GC has just hit 90k. I don't normally do anything with it, I only drive it once in a while. I drove it the other day and it just does not seem to be running as smooth as it used to. We pretty much keep up on the regular oil changes, and Transmission fluid changes. I really haven't had to do anything on besides the brakes. So this weekend I am planning a tune up.
I am going to replace the plugs, wires, airfilter, and run some injector cleaner through it. Anything else that you guys can think of that I should do?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I am pretty sure your WJ has a coil over plug system-meaning you can't change the wires b/c it does not have any. I just changed the plugs on mine and the old plugs were really worn down (gap had opened up to .50-should be .40) and it helped with the idle and acceleration. I used champion truck plugs. I would also look to flush the cooling system. I would stay away from the Dex-cool though and stick with the green stuff. It might be a good idea to get a professional fuel system cleaning (from a mechanic) to rid the system of carbon deposits. I would recommend this before you change the plugs. Other than that it sounds like you got it.

#3 ·
Got the same JEEP and I just did my tune up about 6 months ago at 76K. Added some NGK V power plugs and did a through cleaning of the throtle body/IAC/TPS and ran some seafoam through the oil and gas not that it was running bad, but it PM is always cheaper than fixing something after it breaks.

BTW the NGK's are great plugs and don't cost an arm and a leg :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.