Tune up on a 5.2/5.9. Any write up available? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tune up on a 5.2/5.9. Any write up available?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 09-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
ghost98
1998 ZJ 

Tune up on a 5.2/5.9. Any write up available?

I did a search and didn't find anything. I just purchased a 98 5.9 Limited and I know it should be pretty easy but I was wanting to see if anyone knew of a write up on doing a full tune up on this engine. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil and anything else that may need to be changed. Thanks!!

ghost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Pretty straight forward . Make sure you get come compressed air around the plugs to blow out any debris caught around the plug . No need to get sand or whatever in the engine .

Use a brass cap and rotor , typically labelled premium parts in some stores . Stick to Champion plugs , I run double platinum's in mine and love them to bits . Most suggest just copper core . I personally like MSD coils . Oldest one I have is 5 years , perfect so far . I like their wires too .

No write up's on here for tune up's I have seen
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Make sure you route the plug wires according to the TSB. You don't have to have the wire holders mentioned. You can use holders/p;ug separators from the parts store and a little creative thinking. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Aceladriver

What newfie said, brass contact cap and rotor.

Nick/Kolak sells a good tune up kit, plugs, heavy duty wires and cap and rotor. He has the upgraded coil too if you need it - just be sure to get the little adapter harness with it. He should be in the vendor section I believe.
Unread 09-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Kolak
Vendor

Send me a PM here on the forum - happy to send you all the information about my Kolak Ignition kit.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.