Tune Up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tune Up?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
CaptainOats

Tune Up?

I just recently bought a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (V8). Before I bought it I had it looked at by a mechanic and he suggested I bring it in for a tune up. My gas mileage right now is about 13-15 miles per gallon. If I got a tune up would this help gas mileage at all. Also, would a K&N Air Filter help with mileage as well?

CaptainOats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

It depends on how long it's been since the last tune up. You can do most of this yourself for much less than the mechanic will charge. Plugs, wires, oil, these (if worn out) when changed can give you better mileage, but there's no guarantee. Driving style makes the biggest difference.

The drop in K&N made a 1mpg difference in mine, and I never had to buy another filter again. I do have to do the recharge thing once in awhile, but over time, it will save me money. I do have a larger exhaust (2.5" manifold to end) and no cat, so it flows pretty good. All that combined probably made a 1 mpg difference.

You won't see a substancial difference no matter what you do, but you should be able to get 17 depending on your driving habits.
Unread 09-25-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
CaptainOats

Well the mechanic said it had never had a tune up...and it has a 114,000 miles on it
Unread 09-25-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

How does he know? Was it his? It probably needs a tune up but it sounds like the mechanic was trying to make some money on you.
Unread 09-25-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
CaptainOats

It wasn't the mechanics car, but he's a family friend. He said it didn't look like it had ever had one.

Suggested Threads
  • IL 6 Tune-Up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (15 replies)
  • Bad Tune Up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (16 replies)
  • tune up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (15 replies)
  • tune up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (8 replies)
  • tune-up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (8 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.