tune up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tune up

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-13-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
bullet

tune up

need some quick advice.....im going to advanced auto parts this morning to get some tune up parts for my 5.9...it has 86k and i dont know if its ever had a tune up.....I was planning on doing wires, cap, rotor and plugs. any suggestions on what else to do or what parts to buy (looking for anything to increase performance).....I did some 1/4 mile runs in my jeep with the Gtechpro I keep in my other car (Honda S2000) and she was running 15.25 consistanly....im not sure if this is good for this jeep but its been alot of fun!!!!!!!!!

Unread 07-13-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
dfwyatt

Don't forget a fuel filter, also buy yourself a can of seafoam and suck a third of the can through your brake booster vacuum line and dump the rest in the gas, that'll remove any carbon buildup in the cylinders or injectors.

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
5.2L 318 V8
dfwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
starheimberger

just do it the, brand is not as important as doing it,just buy as good as oem or better
Unread 07-13-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
7thStranger

Don't forget the air filter.

You may want to flush the radiator as well.
Unread 07-13-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
bullet

tune up parts

ok so i think im gonna go with accel 9000 8mm wires, accel cap and rotor, accel coil, and autolite platinum plugs (AP5224)....... I can get everything for around $180...what do you guys think?
Unread 07-13-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
starheimberger

sumitt racing has an accel kit that was about 50 bucks for my 4.0 six should be adequate for a stock engine. you dont need super hi perf wires unless you use super hi output ignition system. simply overkill.
Unread 07-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Don't worry about the fuel filter, it's in the tank and is cleaned every time you fill your tank up to the top. Jeep went to this set up in 96 possibly mid 96, the earlier have only an inline filter, (which I prefer).

Looks like you got the rest covered already.
Unread 07-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #8
bullet

tune up

well i spoke with kolak yesterday and im considering his ignition upgrade...just cant determine if I should spend the $ (260) for it or just go with some decent wires, brass cap and rotor and autolite plugs for less than $100 bucks...this would free up some $ for the mopar performance ecu i want....does anyone think it would make a big difference to go with the better wires and msd coil or not...?

By the way Kolak is a great guy, very informative, and helpful....
Unread 07-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #9
bullet

no advice?

anyone have an opinion on this?

Suggested Threads
  • IL 6 Tune-Up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (15 replies)
  • Bad Tune Up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (16 replies)
  • Tune Up? - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (4 replies)
  • tune up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (15 replies)
  • tune-up - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (8 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.