Tube behind cargo area plastics? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tube behind cargo area plastics?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Yeah, especially under the tailgate hinges...I found stuff in there so old that it was compost!

JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I absolutely refuse to park under any tree. That wretched tree sap will ruin the clear coat if left to long.
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Worst thing about trees are the tree rats that accompany them. I wage a never ending campaign against them in the oaks. Something takes them off overnight everytime.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Worst thing about trees are the tree rats that accompany them. I wage a never ending campaign against them in the oaks. Something takes them off overnight everytime.
Rats/mice chewed through my cps wires twice on my old ZJ in NC. L'il fockers. Then I wrapped the wires up in aluminum foil and wire loom.

Uni - here's some pic help for where those tabs are on the vents -

http://i.imgur.com/y9mcca5.jpg
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #20
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
Rats/mice chewed through my cps wires twice on my old ZJ in NC. L'il fockers. Then I wrapped the wires up in aluminum foil and wire loom.

Uni - here's some pic help for where those tabs are on the vents -

http://i.imgur.com/y9mcca5.jpg
Thanks for the link Dan and that helps a lot!

I've mentioned before how the critters around here have done $5K in damages to my Jeeps and I'm not exaggerating! State Farm keeps paying for this damage with no deductible and my rates have yet to go up. Knock on wood.

So I've had to cover every exposed wire and plastic/rubber line with convoluted tubing along with electrical tape. It doesn't help they used a sugar-based adhesive on the friction tape on the wiring harnesses which is like dessert to these rodents. If you see this tape frayed with strings sticking out cover it with a good electrical tape like Scotch 33 and they don't like the taste of the newer glue/adhesives.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #21
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

I use .178 caliber hollow point adhesive

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #22
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I use .178 caliber hollow point adhesive
Lol coralman and wish I could do the same! Here's my quandary. I live in the woods in the middle of a natural area park, can't shoot anything which makes noise, and don't think I could hit those little critters with my compound bow. Would like to use my scoped Benjamin .20cal pellet gun but it's too loud. Looked at the pricey BB/pellet rifles w/a silencer and they're too loud too.

I've tried live traps, snap traps (both large & small), poison, repellents, etc, w/o much luck. And the poison deal is about a done deal because of my dog. I put a block of the green rat/mice poison in gal jugs up against the garage/basement where we park our 3 Jeeps. Even put big concrete blocks on top of the jugs and the hole in the top of the jugs was just big enough for mice/chipmunks to go into. Found one of the jugs in the yard where my dog had pulled it out with the big chunk of poison laying next to it. So glad he didn't eat it!

Also have to watch using the big rat snap traps because my cat goes outside some. Built a wooden box half-closed at one end for a squirrel to go into but too small for a cat. Never could catch a squirrel in one and wonder if the peanut butter smell just draws in the rodents to my Jeeps?

So right now I have about 20lbs of scattered coffee grounds under my Jeeps and have read where rodents don't like the smell at all. Only time will tell...

Wonder how accurate I could get in using one of these? Lol, but may give one a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Avenger-Blowgu...ywords=blowgun

Unread 09-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #23
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

BB/pellet guns don't make a lot of noise, not enough to attract attention anyway. The problem with trying to kill rodents is that they breed faster than you can off them.
When we were having problems with critters in the engines, we ordered these little sachets called Fresh Cab, hung a couple up in each engine bay with zip ties. Never had rodent troubles after that.
They don't last forever, but they work.
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Wonder how accurate I could get in using one of these? Lol, but may give one a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Avenger-Blowgu...ywords=blowgun
Pretty accurate. I used to be able to hit a quarter sized mark from about 30 ft and I didn't really practice that much. The bigger problem is that there are no sights and you obviously have to hold it well below your eye level. Aiming at a moving target is nearly impossible. Oh, and the darts are slow even with a good breath behind them, the squirrels might be quick enough to jump at the sound and dodge.

Of course now that I said that some professional blow gun hunter is going to step forward to tear my post to bits
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #25
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post

Pretty accurate. I used to be able to hit a quarter sized mark from about 30 ft and I didn't really practice that much. The bigger problem is that there are no sights and you obviously have to hold it well below your eye level. Aiming at a moving target is nearly impossible. Oh, and the darts are slow even with a good breath behind them, the squirrels might be quick enough to jump at the sound and dodge.

Of course now that I said that some professional blow gun hunter is going to step forward to tear my post to bits
I know a clown (really, a professional clown) that is scary accurate with a blow gun. Of course he's had years and years of practice, but he could also bury one of those darts about an inch deep in an oak tree.
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #26
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Why not buy a nice 80lbs crossbow? I've seen one on amazon for like $50 and had good ratings.
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #27
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
BB/pellet guns don't make a lot of noise, not enough to attract attention anyway. The problem with trying to kill rodents is that they breed faster than you can off them.
When we were having problems with critters in the engines, we ordered these little sachets called Fresh Cab, hung a couple up in each engine bay with zip ties. Never had rodent troubles after that.
They don't last forever, but they work.
Guess it depends on the situation as far as noise goes. This woods/park is so quiet a BB/pellet gun makes a whole lot of noise, especially when they're creature lovers on the trail about 250 yards away. Maybe not so much when the leaves are out but the Spring/Winter seems like the peak chew seasons.

Would tend to agree about the fast breeding and there's a boatload of chipmunks around here right now. I've had a bunch of snap traps on my engine before and all I caught was chipmunk hair.

I wondered about putting that Fresh Cab in the engine compartment and does it pull the smell in with the heater/AC on? I have some packets and actually put it in the very back of my XJ since the squirrels tend to chew the gas lines and tank vent tubing on that one. Smells pretty bad but just drive it occasionally since it's our spare.

Unread 09-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #28
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post

Hmm, know the critters would have to be still and didn't realize the blowgun darts were slow. But I do see a lot of squirrels just sitting eating walnuts here.

I don't see why you couldn't add a laser sight with a rifle mount like the one below to a blow gun. Would probably have to practice, know your distances, and maybe support the tube against something because of the added weight.

http://www.amazon.com/NcStar-Laser-U...l+Barrel+Mount

Unread 09-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #29
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Could never smell the sachets on the inside, not in the Jeep, or the Honda.
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #30
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks, and would guess the air for the blower wouldn't be pulled in from the engine compartment anyhow.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.